Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: LSB headers for dependency based boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    LSB headers for dependency based boot

    I just made an attempt to convert to dependency based boot and it turned out that most of the knoppix scripts are missing their LSB headers which are needed for the new dependency based boot. Did anyone ever tried dpkg-reconfigure insserv sysv-rc
    I am getting a message listing almost all knoppix scripts are missing their LSB headers.
    May be I should have posted this in hardware&booting. Sorry about this

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Here is how the LSB header looks like for the smail process.

    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: smail
    # Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog
    # Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
    # Short-Description: simple script to start and stop smail as daemon
    ### END INIT INFO

    Without this LSB header there can not be concurrent process loading at boot up.
    The init.d scripts that are missing this headers in knoppix 6.2 are:
    knoppix-autoconfig, adriane-screenreader, firewall, knoppix-halt, knoppix-startx, knoppix-terminalserver, sbl

    All of those are proprietary knoppix scripts. Can someone using knoppix 6.2.1 or 6.3 check their init.d and see if any of this scripts has the LSB TAG. It should look like the one above for smail and is at the beginning just after #! /bin/sh

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    OK I figured it out. In 6.2 knoppix-autoconfig is solely responsible for loading daemons. You can add or remove daemons which are loaded at boot by modifying it. And I guess no concurrency is possible as knoppix follows this boot script. I am not sure if things are the same way in 6.2.1
    I think in 6.2.1 and probably 6.3 knoppix scripts only do the hardware detection and load udev. So may be it will be possible to have concurrent loading of processes in those versions

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    OK I figured it out. In 6.2 knoppix-autoconfig is solely responsible for loading daemons. You can add or remove daemons which are loaded at boot by modifying it. And I guess no concurrency is possible as knoppix follows this boot script. I am not sure if things are the same way in 6.2.1
    I think in 6.2.1 and probably 6.3 knoppix scripts only do the hardware detection and load udev. So may be it will be possible to have concurrent loading of processes in those versions
    AFAIK there is great deal of concurrency in Knoppix 6; see the Microknoppix summary of features. "Accellerated boot procedure: Independently from the usual SysV bootscripts, multiple tasks of system initialization are run in parallel, so that interactive desktops are reached very fast."

    What do you want to accomplish, exactly, in tweaking the boot process? In this case, perhaps we need to widen the focus to get more in tune with your goals.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I think that Accelerated boot procedure is exactly what is new to 6.2.1 and is lacking in 6.2.
    I think the boot scripts are not run in parallel in 6.2 and knoppix-autoconfig is entirely responsible of loading them. Scripts which are in init.d are not run by their S symlinks in the RC folders - they are loaded by knoppix-autoconfig and not executed in parallel for faster system start. Apart of the faster start if I need to have a process run at boot I have to manually enter it in autoconfig to get it started at boot. Cron for example is not in autoconfig by default and is off by default when the system is up. If you need it you have to manually start it. I hope I am expressing myself well enough in english. I wrote this because it would probably be informational for some people wondering why an installed process is not running when it should be if it's in init.d and has the starting symlinks.
    And it would be very usefull if there is a descussion about the way knoppix starts. It might be helpfull for a lot of new users like me
    Last edited by mecho; 06-12-2010 at 01:04 AM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    I think that Accelerated boot procedure is exactly what is new to 6.2.1 and is lacking in 6.2.
    Nope, I don't think so - see the 6.0 release notes, which have the same language about accelerating boot. Might be fruitful to download that version and play with it, see what differences it exhibits.
    I think the boot scripts are not run in parallel in 6.2 and knoppix-autoconfig is entirely responsible of loading them. Scripts which are in init.d are not run by their S symlinks in the RC folders - they are loaded by knoppix-autoconfig and not executed in parallel for faster system start. Apart of the faster start if I need to have a process run at boot I have to manually enter it in autoconfig to get it started at boot.
    That's a useful observation!
    Cron for example is not in autoconfig by default and is off by default when the system is up. If you need it you have to manually start it. I hope I am expressing myself well enough in english. I wrote this because it would probably be informational for some people wondering why an installed process is not running when it should be if it's in init.d and has the starting symlinks.
    And it would be very usefull if there is a descussion about the way knoppix starts. It might be helpfull for a lot of new users like me
    I agree, and I applaud your efforts, especially since English is not your mother-tongue (and not easy, either.) And I find your English is "good enough", FWIW - while there are some occasional faux pas, it doesn't take a lot of effort to get what your meaning is. Thanks for taking the time and energy to contribute!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-1018R-WC0R 1U Rack Server Xeon E5-2620 v4 64GB DDR4 RAM No HDD. picture

Supermicro SYS-1018R-WC0R 1U Rack Server Xeon E5-2620 v4 64GB DDR4 RAM No HDD.

$289.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00