Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Unable to recover hard drive on Widows 7 PC

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1

    Unable to recover hard drive on Widows 7 PC

    I recently had an operating system failure on my Dell XPS PC running Windows 7. It would not start up and I got a message saying
    Operating System Not Found
    I have successfully downloaded Knoppix 6.7.1, created my CD, and successfully booted off of the CD. On my screen I see the purple fractal background image and the Knoppix folder. When I open up my file manager I do not see my hard drive. All that I see are:

    knoppix folder desktop folder Applications Knoppix_FS Knoppix CD My Passport (my external hard drive)

    On the LXTerminal I ran
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and received the following information:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x41ffc810
         Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *           1       38912   312560608+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    What now? I have files on my hard drive that I need to recover, but I am at a loss as to what I need to do now. Is my hard drive still accessible? If so, how do I go about accessing my files so I can copy them to my external hard drive? Also, I am a brand new to Linux/Knoppix and am more than a bit lost. Thank you for any and all help that you can provide. Take care and have a great day.... ciao, john.


    --------------
    Please use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.
    WPS
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-17-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: formatted by moderator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



WICO Computer Command Apple II Analog Joystick Adaptor NOS 72-4525 picture

WICO Computer Command Apple II Analog Joystick Adaptor NOS 72-4525

$59.99



1964 PHILBRICK ELECTRONIC ANALOG COMPUTING OP AMP CATALOG PRICE LIST DIRECTORY picture

1964 PHILBRICK ELECTRONIC ANALOG COMPUTING OP AMP CATALOG PRICE LIST DIRECTORY

$139.97



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller picture

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller

$499.99