Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Time problem

  1. #1

    Time problem

    I installed knoppix 7.2 on a USB and everything workds great...except it gives the wrong time. This would only be an annoyance except I need to have the correct timestamp on my files. I use multiple computers and OS's for my work and it is beneficial to know which of several is the most recent version of a file.

    I've tried using the following:

    dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

    Current default time zone: 'America/Regina'
    Local time is now: Wed Aug 13 10:40:20 CST 2014.
    Universal Time is now: Wed Aug 13 16:40:20 UTC 2014.

    Unfortunately the local time was 16:40. My actual time zone is CST so UTC-6 is correct. It seems to be acquiring the wrong UTC time.

    I then used a time server (20 minutes later)

    ntpdate -q nist1-nj2.ustiming.org
    server 165.193.126.229, stratum 1, offset 21599.700910, delay 0.09451
    13 Aug 11:00:51 ntpdate[4395]: step time server 165.193.126.229 offset 21599.700910 sec

    BTW, as I said, I'm running knoppix on a USB. When running Fedora 20 on my harddrive there are no such problems so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

    Thanks for any help someone might give.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You can use the cheatcode "tz=America/Regina". Take care of hint 9!

    Have also a look at Micro-Remastering at this website.

  3. #3
    The problem is that it does not set the UTC time correctly so setting "tz=America/Regina" gives me a local time for somewhere in the middle of the Pacific ocean. It so happens it sets the UTC time equal to what my local time actually happens to be. So my workaround is to set my local time=UTC. Then I get the correct local time. Weird!

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The problem is that it does not set the UTC time correctly ..
    Did you read hint 9? You must set the hardware clock within BIOS to UTC manually by yourself.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    I get time set via ntpdate-debian. /etc/default/ntpdate edit the line NTPSERVERS="your ntp server" Verify the ntpdate file exist in /etc/network/if-up.d Now each time your nic becomes active or up. Your time will sync. I use pool.ntp.org for correct time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks QFX5120-32C Ethernet Switch, Server Component picture

Juniper Networks QFX5120-32C Ethernet Switch, Server Component

$5999.95



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.55



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99