-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
utu
.
I'm mainly objecting to the notion of 'stuffing' being anything Klaus K would be guilty-of.
I think he makes elegant, even if sometimes confusing, choices to pack a lot of performance
into a small medium, whether it be a CD or a DVD.
Which may also be called "stuffing" a lot of programs in.. The wording is largely irrelevant, the main issue is that making a selection of programs running 64-bits, takes quite a few supporting binaries, needing some space. But not that much - we don't need to create a KNOPPIX1 compressed image, for example.
As for your own needs, as soon as you start using the computer for something processor intensive, like multimedia processing, (RAW still image handling is one simple and quite usual example) you may appreciate the availability of 64bits solutions. Another 64-bits scenario that would be useful for a lot of users, is running more than one virtual machine at a time.
I can't see the utility of a Distribution offering which is all-up 32-bit AND 64-bit in one iso;
No one has suggested that AFAIK. But it would be handy to use the packaging system to convert any selection of programs into 64-bits, as well as installing new ones, without breaking anything.
I can't see Klaus K offering dual 32-bit and 64-bit collections of screensavers & games.
I think Klaus K's focus is more to the underprivileged computer class, so I doubt
we'll see a 64-bit iso devoted to all 64-bit apps and system programs.
I think you may have a somewhat narrow conception of Klaus K's focus. And I have explained why a more ambitous approach does not necessitate separate versions. Furthermore, it is mostly not Klaus K offering any userspace programs, they are AFAIK, mostly, installed from packages, and apart from the two kernel versions, I think at most a few libraries should be present in both 32 and 64 bits versions on the DVD. What I think would be useful, is having a method for creating a bare-bones 64-bits version, like a "knxbootstrap" utility. But Klaus K doesn't have to play any part in that.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HPe Proliant Microserver Gen10 AMD Opteron 16GB RAM, 3x Intel SSD, Working
$600.00

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$239.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00