Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Dell Inspiron 8100 has Grub Boot Problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2

    Dell Inspiron 8100 has Grub Boot Problems

    I have an older Dell Inspiron whose CD drive does not work, and whose bios dose not allow booting from a usb device. So, I downloaded the ADRIANE iso to the hard drive (it currently runs xubuntu) and configured grub with this boot entry:

    menuentry knoppix {
    loopback loop (hd0,1)/home/ADRIANE....iso
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux debug nousb bootfrom=/dev/sda1/home/ADRIANE....iso expert knoppix
    initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    }
    When I boot the computer, Knoppix appears to boot ok --it displays a message that it finds knoppix 6 at /dev/sda1/home/.... It displays a messages that kernel 2.6.39.3 is loaded. Then it displays a message:

    sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

    It then displays a prompt. The hard disk is mounted at /mnt-iso. I cannot run any programs on the hard disk such as firefox. Even if I type the full path, a message is displayed that the program is not found. A character interface is displayed -- no graphical windows manager. Obviously somethins is wrong. Any ideas?

    Thanks much!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would suggest that you try to boot without the 'debug' cheat code.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2
    Alright. It worked! I presumed that "debug" would offer something useful if the boot malfunctioned, and that it would be harmless if it functioned well. I was wrong. Thanks much for your assistance.

    Cheers!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49



Vintage Apple Keyboard M7803 Mouse M5769 (NEEDS TO BE CLEANED) picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard M7803 Mouse M5769 (NEEDS TO BE CLEANED)

$28.99



5 Vintage Apple Newton Stickers – Original Apple Memorabilia picture

5 Vintage Apple Newton Stickers – Original Apple Memorabilia

$15.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



Vintage Apple 3.5 Drive A9M0106 External 800K Floppy IIgs Mac Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple 3.5 Drive A9M0106 External 800K Floppy IIgs Mac Tested Working

$124.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage

$99.00