Which version of Knoppix do you use?
How do you boot the Linux kernel?
Hi I was wondering what scripts were used to load the second part of knoppix (after already getting in to the kernel). My problem is i am able to get to the kernel but knoppix for some odd reason cannot mount the ISO file in to the folder "mnt-system". I have managed to mount the required ISO files in to the correct folder but I don't know how to tell the kernel to continue with the booting process. Any insight in the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Which version of Knoppix do you use?
How do you boot the Linux kernel?
Im using 6.7 CD. I put the ISO on to my USB and adding it to my GRUB loader. I do notice that as soon as the kernel boots it begins to scan my hard disks and usb drive (for the ISO) so it can mount it on to "mnt-system". Unfortunately due to my current configuration I am unable to place the ISO in the root directory (it is in a directory "/ISO"). Would it be possible to ethier re-run the scanning script after i have manully mounted the ISO or order the kernel toi scan the "/ISO" directory on "sdd1" (my USB)?
What happens if you mount the ISO image file as a loopback device at the mount point /mnt-system and press the key combination CTRL D or issue exit in order to terminate the shell?
Knoppix 7 has a new cheatcode 'bootfrom' that helps using an ISO image file as boot medium.
Okay I have gotten it to work. My mistake was that i did not notice that there was a mounting script that runs before and then looks for the mounted files NOT the ISO. So I made another partion on my USB and copyed over all the compressed files on to my second partion and now I and running KNOPPIX right off my USB. Hope this helps someone. Thanks for your help.
Shmuel6,
Why did you want to use the ISO from USB? Seems like a total waste of energy to me. If you start from the CD/DVD, eventually run the ISO in a virtual machine or use, as Klaus2008 mentions, the bootfrom cheatcode (at least in Knx7), you can then use the built-in Knoppix-to-flash function. That will get you started correctly running from USB media.

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95