Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Going crazy trying to recover some files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Going crazy trying to recover some files

    Hello, I'm going kind of crazy here trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Long story short, had some corruption on a friend's HD in their Macbook Pro and it will not boot into OS X any longer.

    I am running a Knoppix LiveCD to try to recover some documents and pictures. The hard drive mounts fine and I can browse through most of it, except for some folders that appear to be locked (which are, guess what, the documents and pictures folders under my friend's username folder). I am unable to browse them -- it just gives me a
    Code:
    error opening directory / permission denied.
    I found an older forum post saying to just do a "sudo cp -r" in the terminal to move stuff in those folders elsewhere. The weird thing is that this works for SOME files, but not all of them. Some of them it just says
    Code:
    cannot copy... invalid argument
    with no further explanation.

    Another issue is that for some of the files, there are symbolic links (when there is a sym link it explicitly states this in terminal). I know that I need to use a drive formatted with a file system that supports sym links, but everything but a FAT32 drive I have refuses to be written to.

    How on earth do I make Knoppix just freaking work? Is there a better LiveCD distro for saving a HFS+ partition that "just works"? Overall I'm a Linux beginner, but honestly it's because every single thing I have ever wanted to do in Linux requires hours of Google searching, and usually trying to adapt some dated 8-year-old forum answer to my current situation.... usually I end up giving up on Linux for another year or so.

    Can anyone help me out? Thanks


    -------------------
    Format by moderator
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-21-2012 at 12:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Use "PCManFM" (the second icon within the panel) and try
    Tools => Open current folder as root

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90