Greetings, Karibu.
You might give /etc/rc.local a try.
Things here apply after all other initialization is over, allegedly.
Hi, I have a quick Question:
Which is the correct location to put a shell script in order to get it started at boot?
I tried /etc/init.d but it didn't work.
The script I want to start is lxdeDefaultScreenlayout for my dual monitor system, which was generated with 'exit
arandr'.
Last edited by Karibu; 09-10-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Greetings, Karibu.
You might give /etc/rc.local a try.
Things here apply after all other initialization is over, allegedly.
Greetings, Karibu!
The boot process of Knoppix consists of several steps like finding the Knoppix directory, building up of the union file system, detection of hardware components, starting the desktop environment. At all times there are means to run a shell script in addition to the usual ones delivered with Knoppix.
If you want to start a service you would use the /etc/rc.local configuration file. If you need to run a script at the end of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig you can create a file knoppix.sh in the KNOPPIX directory. If you want to run a shell script after the setup of the desktop environment you can put that script in the directory /usr/local/bin and create a suitable .desktop file in the directory /home/knoppix/.config/autostart. Configuration files for the X server are usually put in a subdirectory of /etc/X11.
Greetings, Klaus2008.
I'm going to frame Post #3 over my workplace.
Thanks for that jewel.
Thank you Klaus for the Info... It is a bit to high for me...
runing in the Terminal 'arandr' gives me a script which configures my two-monitor system.
I want this have executed automatically with each start/restart..#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
--output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 1920x0 --rotate normal
I put the file in the locations
- /home/knoppix/.config/autostart
- /etc/X11/Xsession.d
- /usr/local/bin
but none worked. What do I have to do?
I think that you should create a small file /home/knoppix/.config/autostart/lxdeDefaultScreenlayout.desktop with the following content:The owner of the .desktop file should be knoppix.Code:[Desktop Entry] Name=lxdeDefaultScreenlayout Type=Application Exec=sudo /usr/local/bin/lxdeDefaultScreenlayout Terminal=false
There is a thread 'How to autorun a X program' where you can find a link to the 'Desktop Entry Specification'.
Issue SOLVED...
It works as expected...
Thank you Klaus for your outstanding support![]()

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30