Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: tty 80x25 not available

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2

    tty 80x25 not available

    I boot Knoppix 7.0.3 in text-only mode (run level 3). I prefer to have nice big fonts with 80x25 resolution. Every manual says that "vga=normal" will do the job. But this does not work.

    With "vga=normal" boot begins in 80x25 mode, but then as soon as video card is recognized screen immediately changes to 132x50 resolution, and remains such forever.

    With "vga=ask" I get a number of suggestions, and 80x25 among them ("F00"). But if F00 is chosen, the situation is exactly repeated: screen is originally 80x25, but 132x50 after video detection.

    After quite some experimenting, I found the following solution: specify "nomodeset" kernel parameter. Now I get what I want, resolution remains 80x25 forever. But I feel unsatisfied, because this is not a solution but rather a "dirty trick". Is there a way to *instruct* knoppix to load exactly the mode which *I* want?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, joyko.

    Refer to the Knoppix cheatcodes, probably on your system at:
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

    You can change your default boot configuration at
    /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
    by adding the nomodeset cheatcode found there.

    That is, assuming your current DEFAULT is DEFAULT knoppix vga=normal,
    change this to DEFAULT knoppix vga=normal nomodeset.

    You can try this out before you change anything, just adding
    your 'dirty tricks' to the initial prompt. When you find the right
    ones, then change syslinux.cfg to make it 'permanent'.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks utu! As I said, in principle nomodeset solves my problem, and I get what I need. But I don't like such solution, since I always want to understand what happens. Why knoppix refuses to boot 80x25 with vga=normal (but without nomodese)? For example, Enterprise Linux has no problem with 80x25, just specify vga=normal or vga=785. So, I'd like to understand what is going on and what is the "correct" or "regular" way to choose the screen resolution.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I would expect a 'real' understanding might require one to really understand
    both Knoppix's particular init and its X11/xorg procedures in some detail.

    I thought I was answering a question on how to *instruct* Knoppix; the answer
    for which, quite often, is to use a cheatcode.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



(2) Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10G SR SFP+ Transceiver Modules 10-3105-01 - Genuine picture

(2) Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10G SR SFP+ Transceiver Modules 10-3105-01 - Genuine

$32.88



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99