Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Threaded View

  1. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ttopp View Post
    Ok... First - Thank you for the quick responses. On Knoppix DVD 7.05 from USB... experimental... I ran 'knoppix testdvd' and it Failed. Thank you.
    Straute wrote:
    The message You described might come from the Knoppix boot loader, but I am not sure. Is the same
    message displayed when you start Your PC without any (USB-) Flash storage device attached?
    "The Only messages I have received since I started, are: the 'UI error' and the 'Can't find Kernel' error." Without USB inserted ? No Error Messages.

    Can Your PC boot from other flash memory storage devices?
    "Yes. My PC can boot from a 256MB Lexar with an install of Spin-write."

    Can other PCs/Laptops boot Knoppix from Your USB flash memory devices?
    "Yes. This was experienced since I last wrote you. Lots of fun. We saw Ubutu's (Orange Interface) and the 8GB SanDisk w Overlay.

    *Question: Does the 8GB allow for saving of settings?

    Also, we saw the 16GB SanDisk w an 11GB Reiser Partition. (We re-formatted and are using this stick to experiment with - In WinXP Pro version 2002 with SP3 on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.GHz, 2.GB of RAM, a PCChips M848A M-Board.

    *We're using 'xbootvs1.0beta14.exe' (a program that will build a multi-boot stick). I'm trying multi installs on one stick. To date, the completed stick tests OK with 'qemu-0.8.1-windows' - But when it is re-booted, the USB gives 'Boot Error'. The stick also gives a Boot Error on oter PCs. This is All OK. I can slow down, read the docs and do it step by step.

    The ISO's I have chosen are; Knoppix DVD 7.05, Backtrack 5R3 - BT5R3-GNOME-32.iso, the Linux Network Security Toolkit - nst-18-4509.i686.iso, Puppy Linux - lupu-528.005.iso, the System Rescue CD systemrescuecd-x86-3.5.0.iso, Clonezilla -clonezilla-live-20130314-quantal-i386.iso, and Ultimate Boot CD for Windows - UBCD4WinV360.exe."

    To Download these files (ISO's) we use: LinuxLive USB Creator 2.8.20.exe, live-usb-install-2.3.10.exe, and unetbootin-windows-583.exe.

    To Burn ISO Image to CD/DVD we use: PowerISO5.exe, and or ImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe

    However, I still cannot boot these USB sticks on my PC ( All 3 sticks work 'Great' on other PCs ).

    -----------------------------------

    In Your BIOS setup, please check the boot device order (and other USB-related options).
    "these other USB-related options" - in my computer BIOS, I found where they are all, 'Enabled'.

    Perhaps Your PC-BIOS gets confused by the second partition(s) ("/dev/sd?2") created by the experimental installer - Try to use the normal/older flash install program from Knoppix DVD with Your 8 GB Sandisk stick.
    "Sounds good. I will try it soon. ( I let someone play w 8GB this weekend) He was instantly hooked on the spinning compiz 3dcube Interface." He may join Forum.

    Only storage devices with memory capacity bigger than 8 GB can really benefit from the new experimental installer anyway.
    "What does this mean? I'm thinking the overlay and/or Reiser partition is an area to compress-decompress the USB/DVD programs as well as save settings and any file downloads?"

    If You have the Knoppix DVD image, then You can try to write that to another DVD+-R(W).
    "I'm doing that (writing to a DVD RW) this morning."

    After that checks out You could boot that USB stick again and try the experimental installer from there to install on a separate USB flash storage device (to get a file system which is not just writable but with changes persisting across reboots).
    "We did this last night. We had the experimental program of the 64GB Lexar USB (DVD 7.05 w 15GB partition) write to the 16GB SanDisk and it is now persistent w 11GB partition."

    "OK Gentlemen, that's where I am this morning. I would like to see my USB boot on my PC. I know my USB will boot to DOS... Maybe there is a 'LILO' type menu I can put on the USB stick to solve my problem w a menu selection?" Thanks for all the great help and patience. Stay well, and I'm keeepin on.


    --------
    Edit by moderator
    Please use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.

    If "noscript" is active for http://knoppix.net/forum/ disable it for this website; otherwise you cannot use the format abilities.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 04-28-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Make it more readable

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read- picture

Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read-

$239.95



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99