-
After successful experimental Install, USB Flash medium does not boot

Originally Posted by
ttopp
I spent the weekend to no avail but now have an 8GB and 16GB Sandisk and today a 64GB Lexar USB drives with Knoppix 7.05 DVD - None of 3 will boot! Am I missing a step(s), somewhere?
10) wait the end of the process (formatting, install boot loader, copy data file)
I started with the 7.05 DVD .... when I had the Graphical Interface; I selected from (lower left) menu, Knowppix, Install to USB -Experimental. I let the Install Program do everything - Very smooth. When Finished, I reboot and receive the No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
10) wait the end of the process (formatting, install boot loader, copy data file)
So, is your Step number 10... consisting of multiple steps; like installing lilo - Please, it's been some time. I'm back because of the possibility to carry mutiple boots and DVD of data on a USB. Thanks.
Step 10 does not describe tasks You (as the user of the experimental Installer) have to perform, it just lists the many sub-tasks the Installer has to perform (while You have to wait).
The message You described might come from the Knoppix boot loader, but I am not sure. Is the same
message displayed when you start Your PC without any (USB-) Flash storage device attached?
Can Your PC boot from other flash memory storage devices? Can other PCs/Laptops boot Knoppix from Your USB flash memory devices?
I think that it is entirely possible that every one of Your installations was successful, but that your computer can not (currently) boot from USB: Most PCs built-in firmware/BIOS software requires a special key to be pressed before booting of any operating system (from hard disk or SSD) can take place. This key causes a boot device menu to be displayed. In this kind of menu you may then select the avaliable boot devices (among device vendor strings). I can not tell you which special key is needed for Your PC, but this is usually displayed during BIOS storage device detection in a message like "Press F11 to enter boot device selection menu." or "Press F8 key to choose system startup media". This display may zip by rather fast; But the Pause key is your friend.
Sometimes the PC firmware/BIOS requires reconfiguration before even allowing boot from USB media.
In Your BIOS setup, please check the boot device order (and other USB-related options).
Perhaps Your PC-BIOS gets confused by the second partition(s) ("/dev/sd?2") created by the experimental installer - Try to use the normal/older flash install program from the Knoppix DVD with Your 8 GB Sandisk stick (If that can be booted then You have a picky/broken BIOS. Your PC manufacturer might offer BIOS updates by download). Only storage devices with memory capacity bigger than 8 GiB can really benefit from the new experimental installer anyway.
I hope any of this can help You.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

Netgate SG-1100 firewall
$140.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00