-
"0wn" (install Knoppix to HD) won't proceed beyond 1st stage (partition creation)
Hi folks
Any chance of a quick answer to this?
1. Basically, why is 0wn (installs Knoppix to HD) not proceeding beyond the
first stage, ie partition (Pn.) creation?
2. I PREVIOUSLY and successfully, created a 1Gb swap Pn. and a 300Gb Pn. (Linux
root, ext3) on my Acer 5750 laptop. [I know it should be reiserfs - see later.]
It's a 1Tb HD, with 3 other (primary) partitions (used by Windows 7). So the 2
Linux partitions are Logical ones on the 4th (Extended) Pn.
I then ran 0wn to install Knoppix from the DVD to HD. When it got to
partitioning, I found that the root Pn. required reiserfs not ext3. So I
selected the 3rd option offered, ie do manual Pn. with Gparted. Then I simply
reformatted ext3 to reiserfs.
THIS IS THE BIT. When I exited GParted, the installation script duly continued.
3. BUT NO SUCH JOY when I repeated the above, with some slight differences. On
a sister laptop (Acer 5755G) I wanted to do the same as the above, ie
install Knoppix onto HD. The details (& HD size etc) are the same as the above
but with the following differences.
I created a 730Gb Linux root Pn., with REISERFS (from the kick-off). I then ran
0wn. When it presented me with the partitioning options (Auto, manual, etc) I
chose Manual (GParted) as before. There was of course nothing for me to actually
do in GParted because I'd already created the partitions. So I exited GParted.
BUT INSTEAD OF CONTINUING WITH THE INSTALLATION, as it did above, I was just
RETURNED to the selection window for partitioning (ie 3-options + Help). No
explanatory message (error or otherwise) was displayed at the top of the
selection window. So all I could do was just loop round the cycle: Select
manual partitioning...GParted...Select manual partitioning.
I did try the AUTO partitioning option, but it gave a message. I don't remember
the exact message but it might have been "No usable install-partition found",
or it might have been something else. Actually I realised I shouldn't have
used AUTO because it might have got rid of my 3 Windows partitions. But it
didn't. Phew!
I would be most grateful if you could tell me how to get the 0wn installation to
proceed? Thanks muchly.
John
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)
$60.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

2019 MacBook Pro 16” A2141 8-Core Intel i9 2.4GHz 32GB 1TB Radeon 5500M 8 GB
$360.00

Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$359.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00