-
Senior Member
registered user
An heretical lazy man's approach to Linux time-keeping.
.
I have a nice Dell laptop which came equipped with Windows 7.
I rarely use Windows 7, but it allows the laptop to be very close
to 'Observatory time' since it syncs up my hardware clock with an
ntp server every time it IS used. I also corrects for daylight
savings time, if allowed a peek at the internet. The hardware
clock in question is set to local Eastern US time. I also set
my Knoppix desktop to local 12-hour am/pm format.
I don't use ntpdate or any other Knoppix time correction.
The consequences of this are two as far as I can tell.
1. The result of a date command will erroneously append UTC to
the otherwise very nearly correct local time.
2. There is a small error, currently about 15 seconds, which I
observe by occasionally checking against the USNO.
See: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/simpletime.html.
If I wanted to tweak the small error, I could spend a few
minutes with Window 7.
If I wanted to tweak the erroneous UTC, I could use an alias
date="date | sed 's\UTC\EST\'" or date="date | sed 's\UTC\EDT\'"
I rarely find the need to do either.
Nor do I care to disturb my Windows 7 which works ok for what it is.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i5-11500 SRKNY 6-Core 2.70GHz LGA1200 11th Gen CPU
$90.00

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU
$39.99

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99

Intel Core i7-10700T SRH6U 4.50Ghz - CM8070104282215
$130.00

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95