Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NVIDIA 64 bit + Knoppix64 not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    Installing nVidia drivers from the repository

    Greetings, DTeCH!

    I use a flash install of Knoppix 7.0.5 DVD on an 8 GB CF card. I installed the nvidia driver 313.18 from the experimental branch instead of the installer from the nVidia web site. I booted Knoppix 7.0.5 with the 3.6.11 kernel and established a connection to the internet. Then I opened an LXTerminal and updated the list of packages available on the servers. I decided to install the following packages from the experimental branch: nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-kernel-dkms, nvidia-vdpau-driver, glx-alternative-nvidia, nvidia-glx, glx-diversions, xserver-xorg-video-nvidia, nvidia-alternative, nvidia-settings, nvidia-xconfig, libgl1-nvidia-alternatives, libglx-nvidia-alternatives, glx-alternative-mesa, libgl1-nvidia-glx, nvidia-installer-cleanup, nvidia-support, libxnvctrl0. The commands I used were
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common/experimental nvidia-kernel-dkms/experimental nvidia-vdpau-driver/experimental glx-alternative-nvidia/experimental nvidia-glx/experimental glx-diversions/experimental xserver-xorg-video-nvidia/experimental nvidia-alternative/experimental nvidia-settings/experimental nvidia-xconfig/experimental libgl1-nvidia-alternatives/experimental libglx-nvidia-alternatives/experimental glx-alternative-mesa/experimental libgl1-nvidia-glx/experimental nvidia-installer-cleanup/experimental nvidia-support/experimental libxnvctrl0/experimental
    During the installation process the kernel modules were created for both kernels 3.6.11 and 3.6.11-64. I got two message windows that informed me that I had to reboot and to create a xorg.conf before I could use the new Xserver. Both windows could be closed by pressing the enter key. When I rebooted the system I isssued
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=nvidia 2
    at the boot prompt. In the shell I issued
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig
    init 5
    This created a suitable configuration file for the Xserver and switched to runlevel 5 with the LXDE. After the LXDE was running I used the NVIDIA utility from the settings menu to examine the configuration. Since the Xserver worked with the 3.6.11 kernel it was time to try the 3.6.11-64 kernel. Therefore I rebooted the system. At the boot prompt I issued
    Code:
    knoppix64
    The 3.6.11-64 kernel was used and the Xserver started as usual.

    I hope that helps.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks klaus,

    Your method works perfectly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99