-
Senior Member
How to install to USB hdd?
I was having some issues downloading from Mega in NZ, where the site consistently overrode the user's download settings in Chrome (the browser it recommends) and then aborted the download because there wasn't enough disk space
(I've since found that the same thing happens with Firefox, the only alternative browser Mega allows - no download interface appears, although the box for it is ticked). Since I was booting Knoppix 7.0.5 from an 8GB jumpdrive and Mega wanted 20 times the free space needed to actually hold the download file, it was mission impossible, as the default download path in Chrome in Knoppix is /knoppix/download.
So I decided to try installing Knoppix to a USB hdd.
Problem # 1 there seemed to be no installation option specifically for this action. The install to hdd option didn't ask for a drive number, let alone a partition, nor did it present a list of targets. The message said it would overwrite everything on the disk, which presumably meant all the partitions would be gone, and with them my Windows installation, and all my existing apps and data. So I turned to the only other option evident, install to usbflash.
Problem #2.usbflash installation wanted a Fat32 target, whereas my usbhdd was formatted NTFS in a single partition. So I backed up all 140GB of files (am I glad I did!), and used Gparted to shrink the NTFS partition and create an 80GB FAT32 partition. Then I tried the insall to usbflash option again.
Problem #3. the installer did not offer a choice of partitions, showed only the disk name- sdc , and continued to say everything on the disk would be wiped. This surprised me, since when installing to USBflash normally one doesn't have to lose one's data, IIRC. It was also extremely frustrating, because it had taken more than two hours to resize the NTFS partition with GParted via USB2.0. But I went ahead anyhow, and everything was undone, but the installation was pronounced successful.
Problem #4. The only installation option at the end was whether to create an overlay "up to 4GB", to which I agreed.
But when the newly created installation booted and loaded, synaptic would not go online to get Firefox or Chrome (or anything else, for that matter), although the connection was fine, as Iceweasel was able to navigate the net.
However, the whole purpose of the exercise was frustrated, since Iceweasel can't even connect properly to the Mega site, which demands either the latest version of Firefox with the latest Adobe Flash and Mega's download add-on, or the current version of Chrome.
So the entire exercise was a complete waste several hours.
But, both out of interest, and for future reference, I'd like to know whether there is a recommended procedure for installing Knoppix to an external hdd on the USB port, and what it is...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00