Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to make files writable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3

    How to make files writable

    I just installed Knoppix 7.0.5 on a Latitude D600 laptop. I have never installed a Linux distro before that didn't have write permissions for the user.

    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?
    Pleas tell us in detail what do you mean by this. Which files? Which folders?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    All files. Everything. I understand why the file system would be read only when running from the livecd, but I installed Knoppix to my hard drive and I need write privileges.

    Also, Iceweasel worked from the livecd but it won't launch from the HD install. It says it's already running, but 'top' doesn't show any running processes for mozilla. I read that deleting the ~.mozilla folder might fix this but I am unable to delete it without write privileges.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Please tell us the output from
    Code:
    ls -la /home/knoppix/.mozilla

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled Knoppix 7.0.5 and now the file system is writable and Iceweasel is working. I'm not sure what I did different, but I'm good now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



*Sophos XG 210 Rev. 3 Network Security Firewall Appliance*  Sophos XG 210 Rev. 3 picture

*Sophos XG 210 Rev. 3 Network Security Firewall Appliance* Sophos XG 210 Rev. 3

$64.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99