-
internet not reachable with knoppix 3.2
I'm running knoppix 3.2 from cd.My networkcard gets recognized...
if i type ifconfig in a rootconsole two interfaces show up
eth0 en lo or something...
If I use netcardconfig something goes wrong...
at the end of netcardconfig,in the consolewindow one of the messages says broadcast : hostname not recognised or not resolved
i give an ip-adress of 192.168.1.6 a netmask of 255.255.255.240
a broadcastaddress of 192.168.1.255 a gateway 192.168.1.11 and an dnsserver 195.238.2.21 (my isp's dns) the gatewayaddress is of my officeconnect router!
What i can do is something like this
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.6 netmask 255.255.255.240 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
no problem after that i can ping my networkcard and other (windows) pc's on my lan!
but the netcardconfig does not do is job or I do something wrong.Apparently I cant update the /etc/network/interfaces and resolv.conf files as they are on the cdrom and you can't write to a cd rom
or can I update these files...How do I do that?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Luc
support engineer windows nt and windows 2000
belgium
-
Senior Member
registered user
Netcardconfig should work for you but that being said you can edit the file manually. Open a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) and sudo gvim /etc/network/interfaces and enter your settings maually and save the file. Then sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart will restart the network with the new settings. DNS entries are in the /etc/resolv.conf. example files:
/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254
/etc/resolv.conf
Code:
search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34
The search domain in the resolv.conf is not really necessary I have had it working without it with no problems. BTW lo is the loopback interface eg. your computer used to communicate with everything.
-
Jep its working now thanks to the "noacpi" boot op
Stephen,
netcardconfig finally came trough for me but i had to use the "noacpi" cheatcode at the boot prompt!!Also I left the keybord/language the default...us-english instead of lang=be (for belgian keybord azerty)
thanks for the reply
luc
support engineer windows NT windows 2000
belgium
-
lang=be setting does something weird
I just remember when having trouble with the netcardconfig utility in knoppix 3.2 the console window said something like :
"GKL : Locale is not supported
and then the utility appeared (netcardconfig)
I point out that I started netcardconfig from a console as root while having specified lang=be at the boot prompt!!
see my post on language setting in general support
luc
support engineer
belgium
Similar Threads
-
By Siege in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM
-
By jfgananca in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
-
By Julia in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 06:35 PM
-
By Julia in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 01:55 AM
-
By DOS in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99