-
Thanks for testing, Werner.
I verified my failed USB format (done via Knoppix EN CD) before retesting.
Code:
gparted gave FAT32 with boot & lba bits set
fdisk gave "Id c" "W95 FAT32 (LBA)"
cfdisk gave vfat with boot & NC flags set
cfdisk man page says:
The flags can be Boot, which designates a bootable partition or NC, which stands for "Not Compatible with DOS or OS/2". DOS, OS/2 and possibly other operating systems require the first sector of the first partition on the disk and all logical partitions to begin on the second head.
OK, So I booted my Knoppix CD, ran the flash installer again and got another unbootable USB.
I checked the partition specifications with Gparted, fdisk, and cfdisk and got exactly the same partition information as the previous test.
I then used Pendrive's Universal USB Installer under Windows Vista to write the Knoppix .iso to USB. I got the normal 704 MB FAT32/6.6 GB reiser fs partitioning, and the USB was bootable.
What was most interesting was that the partition info under Gparted, fdisk, and cfdisk were exactly the same as the previous 2 tests.
Therefore, the difference between bootable and non-bootable boot records and/or partition 1 information is not something I can see with any of the three tools.
FWIW, the flash device is a Crucial 8 GB.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$729.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00