Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Remastering for Dummys

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4

    Remastering for Dummys

    Knoppix (and Linux in general) is completely unknown to me. So please forgive me for my "greeness".

    I have the system installed on the HD and setup the way I want. Now I want to make a CD out of this.

    I have directions and I'm seeing chroot, scripts, etc... I think these are made for someone who already knows Linux. Unfortunately, thats not me.

    Keeping in mind that I have absolutely no Linux experience, are there directions for idiots?


    As a side note, I'm pleasantly surprised at how stable Knoppix is.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Perhaps my side is what you are looking for.
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/summary/summary-remaster.html

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    I followed your directions and got the ISO created. However, the resulting file is too big to fit on a CD (it is 738 MB). I didnt add anything to the installation.

    Any idea?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Did you use Knoppix DVD or CD for HD installation? If you really wants a new remasterd CD or DVD version you have to delete something which you don't need.

    • Menu 'System Tools/ my Installation' (kn-what.sh) displays all packages and libraries with a short description. Other lists shows installed packages sorted by size and incomplete installed packages.

    Use this suggestion to delete one or two big tools.

    The preferred way nowadays isn't to burn a new CD/DVD, but to do a flash disk install using your new remastered version.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Thanks, I'll look for stuff to delete.

    I understand that, but for this particular application I have to use a CD in a computer with no hard drive. There can be no writable medium in the system (hard drive, flash drives, etc...)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99