Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 7.2.0 usb persistent image question

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30

    7.2.0 usb persistent image question

    I recently bought 7.2.0 dvd on a usb drive from a retailer listed in the Order Knoppix section of the site. The problem is unlike previous versions I have had, the option to create a persistent image is not displayed during boot. I found that my session was automatically saved on the usb after I shut down, which I do not want. Usually I choose not to have persistence or encryption.

    Is this some kind of flaw or has something changed?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Perhaps the retailer has already created a persistent memory for you. Have a look at
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Har...e_Installation
    to learn more about the two different methods of persitent memory within Knoppix. If you don't like it, delete the file knoppix-data.img respectively the file knoppix-data.inf (and the content of the overlay partition).

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    In the link it says:Flash disk InstallBoot with Knoppix CD/DVD and select 'Knoppix/ Install KNOPPIX to flash disk' (since Knoppix 7.1, respectively "experimental version" in Knoppix 7.05). There are two options to choose from:Installation on FAT32 with (optional) overlay file < 4GBInstallation on FAT32 with additional overlay partitionIn the first case you will get an installation of compressed filesysten Image and the persistent memory all within '/dev/sda1' (FAT32 formatted).In the other case you will get an installation of compressed filesystem Image to '/dev/sda1' (FAT32 formatted) and the persistent memory in '/dev/sda2' (ReiserFS formatted).What do I do if I don't want either type of persistent memory? ie: no persistent memory? Choose Cancel?Thanks.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If you cancel the installation of persistent memory within 7.2.0, the installation is broken and you cannot use it. With earlier versions of Knoppix you have had the ability to pass over this step and always use the cheatcode "knoppix noimage".

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    So it is necessary to always create some persistent memory?And I can not use the noimage cheatcode?The vendor I bought my usb from said I could also edit the ' /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg' file with 'noimage' to make it permanent. No?Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Yes, of course, you can use "noimage" too.
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering

    And after this you can delete the file '/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img(or .aes) or, in case of partition overlay, the content of the overlay within the second partition.

    I hope, KK will correct the little error within his script in the next version of Knoppix.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 10-05-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10 GigE MMF Transceiver Module picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10 GigE MMF Transceiver Module

$18.88



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99