-
Uefi boot
Hello,
I would like to boot my remasterd CD on a uefie / secure boot enabled notebook. I put the boot folders from the knoppix DVD [EFI] on the root of my remasterd CD.
But you guessed it, it wont boot. Can someone point me in the right direction of (u)efi boot and linux / knoppix!???
I read in an article there is nothing more to it, this just should work!????
Greets,
WJP79
-
Hello,
Just thinking up loud:
So I tried to boot the knoppix dvd in virtualbox with efi enabled but knoppix dvd did not boot either, but ubuntu / win8 does boot!.
I copied the EFI and the .disk folder from ubuntu dvd to my remastered knoppix cd, and now it boots to grub shell. jeeej....(eufi boot enabled)
But i use syslinux (isolinux.cfg) to boot my knoppix, I need some way to (chainload?) my isolinux.cfg from grub!!!???
How am I doing???? ,
Does anyone know how to chainload isolinux from grub on a live cd?
Thank you
WJP79
-
Hello, me again,
So the chainloader isolinux.cfg doesnt work, .. well maybe it does, but I dont know how. So I just moved my isolinux.cfg to grub.cfg. I burned the ISO and tested in virtualbox and it boots fine.
I tried to run the CD in my notebook (asus), but it wont boot, I cant choose the Uefi cd / dvd drive.
Anyone got sugestions? 
Thank you
-
Senior Member
Are you able to boot from other external media on your UEFI laptop? Ie. have you made the necessary adjustments in your UEFI "not a bios BIOS"? You have to disable secure booting and enable CSM, IIRC. Then, when you go to the boot priority menu in 'BIOS' it should list the CD among the bootable partitions. Then you need to either put it in position #1, or go to the boot override menu (a long-winded version of F12) put the cursor on the burner and hit ENTER.
BTW I have this information on the tip of my fingers because I just acquired an ASUS N550JV, and had to figure out how to boot Linux myself, since the technical gurus at Staples, where I bought it assured me that it was absolutely impossible without first wiping everything off the hard drive, including Windows 8 and all the Asus apps.
I've now got about 9 days left in which to decide whether to keep this machine or return it for refund. The critique of UEFI on Wikipedia is pretty discourageing.
-
Hello,
I think I have figured it out. I copied the /boot and /efi and .disk from the new 13.10 DVD ubuntu (grub 2.00-19ubuntu2) to the remastered iso. I modified the grub.cfg and used the tool "rufus" to burn the iso to a usb pendrive. (spending way too much cdr). Now it boots with uefi and secure boot enabled!!!!. wheeee 
Now I need to figure out how to make a hybrid gpt / mbr pendrive so I dont have to enable / disable uefi all the time. (It needs to run on different machines / laptops, old and new)
-
Boot 7.4.2 in UEFI
Hello Gurus,
I have a remastered 7.4.2 iso. It does not boot in EFI mode. My machine supports EFI as it can boot from EFI DVDs like WINPE. What are the exact steps I have to follow to make it boot in EFI ?
Thanks
Basudeb
-
Senior Member
registered user
.
I have two Dell Inspirons; one is a Windows 7 machine, the other a Windows 8 machine.
Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveDVDs and LiveUSBs will boot and run on both of these machines
if built-in boot choices are properly made.
For both machines, one must select the boot device order to select DVD or USB
to boot first, before other available, bootable devices.
My Windows 7 machine does not have either Secure Boot mode or UEFI boot options;
its only boot choice is 'BIOS'. All recent Knoppix versions handle this mode.
For my Windows 8 machine, to use Knoppix 7.4.2, one must de-select Secure Boot mode as a boot option;
Knoppix 7.4.2 doesn't handle this mode. For this machine one has a choice of either
'BIOS' or UEFI. Knoppix 7.4.2 handles both these choices without Secure Boot.
If Secure Boot mode is selected, Knoppix 7.4.2 booting support must be revised
to allow this. An earlier post in this thread speaks of success in the revision
using some supporing files from recent versions of Ubuntu.
One needs to get familiar with one's own machine to determine what its boot
choices are. Your machine may differ from my Inspirons. If you haven't already,
locate and get familiar with the user manual for your machine.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00