Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Desktop is bigger than my screen. How do I fix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    Desktop is bigger than my screen. How do I fix?

    A Linux newbie (in the UK), I thought I would experiment with Knoppix 3.2 on this months PCplus covermount( with Knoppix v3.2 2003-05-03 EN.iso). I am booting from the cd I burned and managed to get round flickery screen problems and I have even got modem going so am writing this in Konqueror browser. What I can't figure out is the desktop size. By this I mean as I move cursor to the edges of screen the desktop scrolls a bit in all directions. If I look in control centre > Xdisplay the screen is 640x480 Is this the reason or do I need to configure desktop somehow? I was going to change screen to 1024x768 which is what I use in Windows 98se but it seems you have to restart the session to get changes to take effect but if I shutdown and reboot I am back to square one. Basically I just want the desktop to fit the screen at some resolution (preferably 1024x76. I have tried booting with various options including screen=1024x768 but it seems to make no difference. Also tried fb800x600 but boot stopped (can't remember error now). I have seen references to saving settings to a floppy and booting with that, is that the thing to do? Any help gratefully received. My machine is Athlon 1.2 ,512Mb, 40GbHD, Geoforce 2 mx200 64mb graphics card

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Go here: http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/bootdisks/ and
    Download - boot-en.img . Go into Windows and Copy from Knoppix CD
    the following files: rawrite2.exe mkfloppy.bat to C:\ .
    Also put your boot-en.img in C:\.
    Edit the mkfloppy.bat to boot-en.img. Launch the rawrite2.exe in
    Windows, this will write an Floppy Boot Disk for Knoppix.
    Put Boot Disk in FDD and Knoppix CD in CD-ROM, and set you BIOS to boot from Floppy.
    Boot up and Knoppix will load, Hit F2 and enter:
    knoppix lang=us desktop=kde screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev 5 dma keyboard=us

    Maybe this will help, also there is another command: testcd (It Checks CD data integrity) that you can add to above line. I haven't used it.
    Also, you can log out - log-in as another user (Chosse - root), to see
    if this changes anything.
    I'm running an Athlon XP 1600, Maxtor 40GB, GeForce 2 -MX400
    (64MB), 256MB - with no troubles. I have an old monitor, an it was hard to get screen size set-up.
    The screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 did the trick.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    One other thing, try this:

    Go into an Konsole in Knoppix, type su <Your Password>
    and kxconfig. It brings up Advanced XFree86 Configuration to help
    in setting up Monitor|Graphic Gard|etc..
    GeForce 2 MX-400 is an NV11.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the posts Cyberdude. I thought I would give those boot options a try booting straight from my cd i.e.

    knoppix lang=us desktop=kde screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev 5 dma keyboard=us

    and I got a 1024x768 screen no problem! Thanks for the help.

    Just for information to anybody I am using an old 14" monitor. Other specs of my machine are in my first post to which I should add ECS K7S5A motherboard.

    CyberDude:
    When you say about logout and login again as new user does that only work if I make the floppy as you suggested and then boot from that? At moment when I logout everything terminates and eventually machine shuts down.

    However the only other thing I could really do with now is knowing how to save stuff like connection settings for internet/email etc. so I can boot with these things already set up. I will have to search the forums more as I think this issue is already dealt with but if anyone can point me to a good link I would be grateful as I'm pushed for time just now.

    Thanks again to The CyberDude

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Managed to save settings to floppy and then restore by booting with Knoppix floppyconfig failsafe
    as suggested here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248

Similar Threads

  1. Remastered 3.6 iso is bigger (even I don't add nothing)
    By tlamik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 08:19 AM
  2. Scrambled Screen - Compaq Presario 5300US Desktop
    By woodjack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 07:49 PM
  3. Video Resolution to small how to make it bigger?
    By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
  4. Desktop Smaller Than Screen
    By almarote in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 06:57 PM
  5. Bigger Screen
    By DavidTempler in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00