Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: cannot do sudo wireshark - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

  1. #1

    cannot do sudo wireshark - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    When I launch wireshark(from k-menu..run, or from the command line) it loads but doesn't list interfaces unless I do sudo wireshark or I suppose if I do su then wireshark. That's fine.
    But sudo wireshark or su<ENTER>wireshark<ENTER> isn't working.

    It worked yesterday but now when I try, I get this error






    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ su root
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# wireshark
    No protocol specified

    (wireshark:4986): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# su knoppix
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo wireshark
    No protocol specified

    (wireshark:503: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Do not run wireshark as user "root"!
    Read some documentations about wireshark. Your problem isn't a Knoppix problem.

  3. #3
    Thanks. I got it to work since some days back. For the record it was most likely this solution that I used

    http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/7...erfaces-listed
    $ sudo apt-get install wireshark
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common
    $ sudo usermod -a -G wireshark $USER
    $ sudo reboot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage VGA Video Graphics Card (Vision964, Trio64V+, PVGA1A, GD5446) picture

Vintage VGA Video Graphics Card (Vision964, Trio64V+, PVGA1A, GD5446)

$200.00



DELL INSPIREON 8200 VINTAGE LAPTOP picture

DELL INSPIREON 8200 VINTAGE LAPTOP

$85.00



Vtg 1994 Toshiba T4850CT/200 Laptop For Parts/Repair  ONLY picture

Vtg 1994 Toshiba T4850CT/200 Laptop For Parts/Repair ONLY

$99.89



RARE VTG NEC IBM PC COMMAND SET SPIN MATE 6150 + SPINWRITER 8850 USER GUIDE picture

RARE VTG NEC IBM PC COMMAND SET SPIN MATE 6150 + SPINWRITER 8850 USER GUIDE

$199.95



Vintage Retro Lot IC CHIPS CERAMIC Plastic Assorted GOLD Scrap Collection Tubes picture

Vintage Retro Lot IC CHIPS CERAMIC Plastic Assorted GOLD Scrap Collection Tubes

$199.99



Vintage California Computer Systems Boards for S-100 Terminiator Cards picture

Vintage California Computer Systems Boards for S-100 Terminiator Cards

$145.00



Vintage 1984 Seattle Silicon Technology Inc. Valid Concorde ASIC User’s Manual picture

Vintage 1984 Seattle Silicon Technology Inc. Valid Concorde ASIC User’s Manual

$299.00



Vintage Retro Beige AT Desktop Computer Sleeper Case picture

Vintage Retro Beige AT Desktop Computer Sleeper Case

$99.99



Vintage Apple M2115 SCSI External Hard Drive for Macintosh POWERS ON picture

Vintage Apple M2115 SCSI External Hard Drive for Macintosh POWERS ON

$119.89



Vintage ECS AL486 Baby AT Motherboard Socket 3 Intel i486 + Front Bezel picture

Vintage ECS AL486 Baby AT Motherboard Socket 3 Intel i486 + Front Bezel

$175.00