Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Another boot from CD problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    Another boot from CD problem

    Hi

    I have just got hold of Knoppix 3.2 off a pc mag cover disc - it looked to be a great introduction to linux. Unfortunately, the cd start-up doesn't launch correctly

    Having burnt the cd and reset my bios to boot from cd, on boot, I then get a blue screen with the knoppix header and boot: prompt.

    If I then press return I get "you passed an undefined mode number" then goes into video modes etc. Having looked through the forum archive I found that vga=normal then took me to the next stage.

    Ready
    uncompressing linux... ok, booting the kernel - it then just hangs

    I have tried endless combination of the cheats which all result in the same thing except for ‘failsafe' which results in a screen full of text and then it hangs.

    The last 3 lines of text are:

    smp motherboard not detected
    enabled ExtINT on cpu#0
    ESR value been enabling vector : 00000002

    My newbe conclusion from the forum archive is that knoppix doesn't like my motherboard.

    Does anyone else have any ideas?

    I am sure that the cd I burnt is ok as I have tried it on old machine which I have, where the install/boot fully completed, with swap files etc - although all extremely slowly.

    All help appreciated
    tia
    Steve

    Basic system info:
    Processor(s): AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ @ 1.47GHz
    < Mainboard and BIOS >
    System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T
    System Chipset: VIA Technologies Inc Unknown (3116)
    Installed Memory: 256MB (90% true allocated load)
    Manufacturer: ECS
    MP Support: No
    Model: K7VMM

    < Video System >
    Monitor/Panel: Plug and Play Monitor
    Adapter: Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head Max - English

    < Drives and Storage Devices >
    GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47: Disk Drive
    GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK: Disk Drive
    LG CD-RW CED-8080B : CD-ROM/DVD
    PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-104 : CD-ROM/DVD

    < Operating System(s) >
    Windows System: Microsoft Windows 98 Ver 4.10.2222 A
    DOS Sub-System: Microsoft MS-DOS Ver 7.10 A

    < Peripherals >
    Serial/Parallel Port(s): 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub: VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub: VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub: VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub: USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub: USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub: USB Root Hub
    Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Mouse: WHEEL MOUSE PS/2 MOUSE

    < Physical/BIOS Memory Banks >
    DIMM1 (RASL-1 RASL-0): 128MB DIMM SDRAM single-bank
    DIMM2 (RASL-3 RASL-2): 128MB DIMM SDRAM double-bank
    DIMM3: Empty
    DIMM4: Empty

    < System Chipset >
    Model: VIA Technologies Inc Unknown (3116)
    Bus(es): ISA AGP PCI USB SMBus/i2c
    Front Side Bus Speed: 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)

    < Environment Monitor(s) >
    Model: SiS 950 internal
    Mainboard Specific Support: Yes
    Configured Mainboard: K7VMM
    Level 4/5 Support: No

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Now this is what I like to see: You've explained what your error is, not "uh well it was kinda like this...."- that get's us nowhere. Secondly you have posted what you've already tried to resolve the problem. I can see that you've been reading. Try booting with this cheat code (and maybe others)

    boot: knoppix nosmp

    If that doesn't work do this:

    boot: knoppix 2

    Then do this:

    dmesg | more

    You'll be looking at the kernels boot messages- you mayor may not find something of interest there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    boot: knoppix nosmp

    If that doesn't work do this:

    boot: knoppix 2
    Thanks for your suggestions rickenbacherus, unfortunately they result in the same system hang after ‘uncompressing linux...ok, booting the kernel'.

    I have also tried other combinations of cheatcodes along the "no-" options but to no avail.

    I will keep an eye on the forum but sometimes its just not to be.

    Thanks
    Steve

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Have given-up trying knoppix on the desktop and have just tried it on the new notebook - works a treat, well impressed!
    Steve

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    Re: Another boot from CD problem

    Quote Originally Posted by capate
    Hi

    I have just got hold of Knoppix 3.2 off a pc mag cover disc - it looked to be a great introduction to linux. Unfortunately, the cd start-up doesn't launch correctly

    Having burnt the cd and reset my bios to boot from cd, on boot, I then get a blue screen with the knoppix header and boot: prompt.

    If I then press return I get "you passed an undefined mode number" then goes into video modes etc. Having looked through the forum archive I found that vga=normal then took me to the next stage.

    Ready
    uncompressing linux... ok, booting the kernel - it then just hangs

    I have tried endless combination of the cheats which all result in the same thing except for ‘failsafe' which results in a screen full of text and then it hangs.

    The last 3 lines of text are:

    smp motherboard not detected
    enabled ExtINT on cpu#0
    ESR value been enabling vector : 00000002
    I get the same error with the same board, I guess it's not meant to be. Fortunately I have other machines around here it does work on.

Similar Threads

  1. Yes,another boot problem
    By Gemantra in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 07:30 AM
  2. boot problem
    By Braese in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 06:37 PM
  3. Boot problem
    By keyvisuals in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:06 AM
  4. Boot Problem
    By Philly_Blunt in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
  5. Boot problem
    By SK in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96