-
.. and there are no minimize, maximize and close buttons in the window when I open one. Also I cannot move the window.
It's an ugly effect of Compiz; therefore I always use the cheatcode "knoppix no3d". Can you see the content of sda1 within PCManFM (2nd icon from left in the panel)? If no, get you errors withIf yes, perhaps Testdisk may help you. It's not a tool for unexperienced users!
-
Thank you Mr. Schulz for the reply. I am an absolute beginner, but today when I booted Knoppix DVD on my laptop with infected HDD I could normally close, minimize and maximize windows. I did press F2 for help though in the boot prompt but only to snoop around and when I saw option (press I believe F3) Show Desktop I did that.
Still it does not show any disks (partitions) in PCManFM only Knoppix, Desktop and Applications. When I typed suggested code I got this:
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10337 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb2f2b2f2
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 156280319 78140128+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
How can I access this disk and see and rescue files? Thank you for your time and patience.
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-15-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Reason: Make posting readable
-
How to use cheatcodes - for example "knoppix no3d"
Your disk geometry reported by fdisk seem ok, but PCManFM fails. If alsocannot see anything about size and used part of your harddrive you have to try "testdisk". Perhaps this tool can find and restore something.
It's an important recommendation to create an image on a separate harddrive and to use this image.
-
When I enter recommended code I get this: knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on rootfs 498M 44K 498M 1% / /dev/sr0 4.0G 4.0G 0 100% /mnt-system tmpfs 2.0G 38M 2.0G 2% /ramdisk /dev/cloop 10G 10G 0 100% /KNOPPIX unionfs 2.0G 38M 2.0G 2% /UNIONFS unionfs 2.0G 38M 2.0G 2% /usr unionfs 2.0G 38M 2.0G 2% /home tmpfs 20M 3.0M 18M 15% /run tmpfs 20M 3.0M 18M 15% /UNIONFS/var/run tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /UNIONFS/var/lock tmpfs 100M 44K 100M 1% /UNIONFS/var/log tmpfs 2.0G 8.0K 2.0G 1% /tmp udev 20M 0 20M 0% /dev tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm When I connect USB stick it gets recognized and I can see it in the PCManFM, so I suppose the infected hard disk is infected with some very sneaky virus or something like that. I guess only thing to do now is to learn how to play with 'testdisk' tool, and that will take a while. Thank you Mr. Schulz for your time and effort.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory
$105.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MEMORY LOT 75+ PC/Server/Laptop | DDR4/DDR3/DDR2/DDR (128MB - 16GB assorted)
$350.00

M393A8G40AB2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$549.00

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

Micron 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2II) - Preowned
$59.00

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.98