-
Senior Member
registered user
Microsoft fonts question
I notice that MS has withdrawn the free fonts they used to have on the web.
1. I have a licensed copy of Win2000. Is it legal for me to use the fonts bundled with it on my Linux installation on the same machine?
2. If so, how do I import them - when I point confifont at the fat32 partition with the MS fonts in it, it doesn't see them. When I copy them to an ext32 partition, they are still not visible.
3. What are the best free alternatives?
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
They're still around, but M$ have made them harder to find. Do a google for
ttf
and chances are they'll show up.
Apropos your fonts. As far as I know, what you suggest is legal. As root, make a ditectory:
mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype
Copy them there. You only need the files with ttf extensions.
As root (easiest to do this graphically) find the font manager in Kde (I think it's in the Control Centre). Just point it at /usr/share/fonts/
and that's pretty much it.
There are a shedload of ttf fonts useful for decorative stuff out there -- much nicer (and more fun) than the M$ stuff.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Microsoft fonts question

Originally Posted by
Tortoise
I notice that MS has withdrawn the free fonts they used to have on the web.
1. I have a licensed copy of Win2000. Is it legal for me to use the fonts bundled with it on my Linux installation on the same machine?
2. If so, how do I import them - when I point confifont at the fat32 partition with the MS fonts in it, it doesn't see them. When I copy them to an ext32 partition, they are still not visible.
3. What are the best free alternatives?
Thanks!
apt-get install msttcorefonts will get the fonts you want and you may want to check this thread.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thank you! That's pretty cool.
-
Senior Member
registered user
For the rest of the ttf stuff see here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2909#13705
Now, that's even cooler!
Similar Threads
-
By Inkubas in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 07:01 AM
-
By your_breakfast in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 11:47 AM
-
By rvijay in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-10-2004, 05:54 PM
-
By grandb in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 07:58 PM
-
By Stephen in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD
$599.00

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00