Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Microsoft fonts question

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154

    Microsoft fonts question

    I notice that MS has withdrawn the free fonts they used to have on the web.

    1. I have a licensed copy of Win2000. Is it legal for me to use the fonts bundled with it on my Linux installation on the same machine?
    2. If so, how do I import them - when I point confifont at the fat32 partition with the MS fonts in it, it doesn't see them. When I copy them to an ext32 partition, they are still not visible.
    3. What are the best free alternatives?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    They're still around, but M$ have made them harder to find. Do a google for

    ttf

    and chances are they'll show up.

    Apropos your fonts. As far as I know, what you suggest is legal. As root, make a ditectory:

    mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype

    Copy them there. You only need the files with ttf extensions.

    As root (easiest to do this graphically) find the font manager in Kde (I think it's in the Control Centre). Just point it at /usr/share/fonts/

    and that's pretty much it.

    There are a shedload of ttf fonts useful for decorative stuff out there -- much nicer (and more fun) than the M$ stuff.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Microsoft fonts question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    I notice that MS has withdrawn the free fonts they used to have on the web.

    1. I have a licensed copy of Win2000. Is it legal for me to use the fonts bundled with it on my Linux installation on the same machine?
    2. If so, how do I import them - when I point confifont at the fat32 partition with the MS fonts in it, it doesn't see them. When I copy them to an ext32 partition, they are still not visible.
    3. What are the best free alternatives?

    Thanks!
    apt-get install msttcorefonts will get the fonts you want and you may want to check this thread.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Thank you! That's pretty cool.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    For the rest of the ttf stuff see here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2909#13705

    Now, that's even cooler!

Similar Threads

  1. The secret code Microsoft doesn't want you to know
    By Inkubas in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 07:01 AM
  2. Microsoft Invaders
    By your_breakfast in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 11:47 AM
  3. Knoppix-Fonts Question.
    By rvijay in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 05:54 PM
  4. Wireless USB Microsoft MN-510
    By grandb in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 07:58 PM
  5. Good use for Microsoft??
    By Stephen in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00