Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Samba Questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Samba Questions

    I want to have my own knoppix be able to run on several machines on home networks and share to a windows machine. I could make a static configuration for samba and make as many unique remasters as were needed, but I want to make knoppix's samba conform to the users' networks, not the other way around if I can.

    1)What is the default samba user? password?

    2) Anyway the user can set their own stuff in smb.conf? I need several knoppix machines to share with one windows box, so wouldn't I need unique hostnames? Would I also need unique samba users and passowrds, or can I share from several machines with just one samba user/password?

    3) Can I share something in the ramdisk to a windows machine. I have an app in windows that monitors folding@home. I'd like ti to be able to monitor the status of F@H while its running in a ramdisk. This monitoring app doesn't have a problem with samba shares in ext3, but I'm not sure how versatile it is beyond that. What fs is the ramdisk anyway?

    4) What's the default hostname? Can I set it up so the user can change it?

    5) Is there a built-in shell variable for hostname, $host maybe?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Quick answers to your questions:

    1) The default password is going to be whatever you set it to with the "smbpasswd -a knoppix" command line.

    2) The user root can configure smb.conf, not joe user. I would set up unique user id's and passwords for each user. You need to add a unix account then reperform the "smbpasswd -a" for each.

    3) Not sure what you're talking about here, I probably can't help.

    4) The default hostname is the name you christend your knoppix boxen. You can change it if you like, if you're root or have sudo access.

    5) You should be able to create your own environment variable, but I'm not sure what you're trying to attempt. I would consider posting this as a separate question if you need to pursue it...

    I did a quick forum search on the key word "SAMBA". The first link that came up appears to address your question, but there are TONS of others. A search for smb.conf would probably yield a lot of good information on this subject as well.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251#825

    You may want to seach specific forums (HD-Install, Networking, etc.) depending on your needs.

    Hope this information is helpful

    Regards,

    ~paul

Similar Threads

  1. Samba and MTU
    By jimbo62 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 03:22 AM
  2. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  3. Samba and PXE questions
    By mabhatter in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 11:32 PM
  4. how to use samba?
    By juan_sck in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
  5. Samba?
    By Tovi in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00