-
Can't get 7.6.1 Live USB to use less than half of RAM
Hello, everyone. I am new to Knoppix and the forum but not UNIX/Linux. I am trying to respect everyone's time and have read the FAQ and searched the forums and the Internet using a wide variety of keywords to try to find the answer myself with no luck. I am posting as a last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Dell R900 with 128GB of RAM but no disks (I can't afford to buy any at this time). I created a Knoppix 7.6.1 Live USB drive using these instructions but when I booted up the system was consuming 64GB RAM in rootfs, which is not only overkill but makes it impossible to do the graph visualization that prompted this setup in the first place because I need every last MB of RAM for the Java VM. I searched around and discovered the ramdisk_size parameter and modified syslinux.cfg, syslnx32.cfg, and syslnx64.cfg to add "ramdisk_size=2097152" (which I understand to mean 2GB) to the APPEND statements using these instructions. Knoppix is still consuming 64GB in the rootfs no matter what permutations I try, and I'm up into the dozens of attempts at this point. There was a recent post that might be related to my problem but there is no definitive answer in that thread. I do not see any other cheat codes that might be applicable. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95
$119.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99