Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How do I get a full output of "lspci -v" ? (Can't see HDD)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2

    How do I get a full output of "lspci -v" ? (Can't see HDD)

    Hello, I bought Knoppix USB (and am learning Linux) with a view to reformatting an old Windows 7 laptop HDD. Knoppix booted up fine from the USB stick but can't see the HDD. This might be because it can't see it, but alternateively it could simply be that I don't know where to look on the Knoppix GUI, being new to Linux. I can't see any levels "above" or "outside" the Knoppix. The laptop mouse seems to work fine.

    I see the forum instruction, for those who cannot see hardware to 'post a full output of "lspci -v" ' but I don't know what that means. Can anyone give me a reference for instructions on this point?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    The 'lspci -v' command is run in a terminal. It will list your processors, nothing else.

    When you run GParted (from Menu > Preferences), do you see your hard drive partitions? If yes, what is the Information provided by GParted when you right-click on each of them?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    The 'lspci -v' command is run in a terminal. It will list your processors, nothing else.

    When you run GParted (from Menu > Preferences), do you see your hard drive partitions? If yes, what is the Information provided by GParted when you right-click on each of them?
    Thanks for your help philo. In fact I think your question may have made the penny drop.

    I can see the partitions just fine using GParted. There are 3 plus an "unallocated" residue of 1.34MB.
    2 show as ntfs ( "SYSTEM_DRV" ( /dev/sda1 ) and "Lenovo_Recovery" (/dev/sda3 ) )
    The other, /dev/sda2, has file system "unknown". This is 281GB and is surely the old C: that I disk-encrypted using Truecrypt. (And whose password I forgot :O )

    But I see when I right-click on any partition that amongst other options I can "Reformat to" any one of a long list of formats.

    Presumably I can just do that to the old 281GB Truecrypt partition and Reformat to (say) ext4, and then install a Linux system like ubuntu onto that partition?

    Many thanks again for your help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    This thread should rather be in General Support.



    ----
    Done!
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-14-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99