Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

    I have Knoppix installed on my hard disc (distro 7.0.2, kernel release 3.3.7.).

    Could you please tell me if ALL scripts in the directory /etc/init.d/ are
    executed at boot time?

    The reason I ask is because I have altered (intelligently) one or two of the
    standard scripts that are in /etc/init.d/, such as

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.

    But before I altered them, I kept a copy of the originals in /etc/init.d/, and
    in the above case the copies I kept are

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG.

    Does this mean that these latter scripts are actually being run at boot time
    AS WELL AS

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig?

    The system seems to run fine, but it's only just occurred to me (after a couple
    of years of use), that I might be running 2 lots of scripts as above.

    Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?
    Take a look in /etc/rc.local to get the answer to that question.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No, Knoppix doesn't take care of '/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG' and '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG'.
    Have a look at '/etc/inittab'.

  5. #5
    Many thanks Werner. Your kind reply is most welcome. I can breathe a sigh of relief that I haven't made a blunder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99