-
Junior Member
registered user
Hot Swappable Drives and Sound Card on Presario 2800
Hello, am another newbie to linux. Am running Knoppix 3.2 on a Presario 2800 laptop. Did a full install today and am having some difficulties now. My CD-ROM and FDD are hot-swappable. Knoppix sees them both but I am unable to mount either one. It says something to the effect of too many file systems. Am doing a dual boot with WinXP on another partition.
Also when I call up info on my sound card it says no info available. Loggin in as root, there is actually sound on startup but not so with running under normal user. When I ran knoppix live of the CD it could play sound but very softly.
Finally this is gonna sound plenty stupid, but how do i install drivers?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not sure about the swapable drive issue, but I'll try to help with the sound.
First of all make your volume levels are turned up. I this sounds a little trite, but I've found it to be the source of many a sound problems. You can adjust your volume levels by using aumix.
If that doesn't work, make sure that your user belongs to the audio group. You can add yourself this way:
Code:
adduser <yourusername> audio
.
Sounds as if your sound card is properly detected since you get sound for Root, so that shouldn't be a problem.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Haha spot on.... volume was down too low. How do I get into aumix. Was trying to find the volume controls in vain earlier today when I found out volume was the problem.
-
Junior Member
registered user
nvm the aumix thing, got that...thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xolstis
Haha spot on.... volume was down too low. How do I get into aumix. Was trying to find the volume controls in vain earlier today when I found out volume was the problem.
Handy tip: edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add aumix -w 60 -v 60 to the bottom of the file and your levels will be set every time you boot.
-
Junior Member
registered user
thanks, but could i know what the -w 60 -v 60 stands for?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xolstis
thanks, but could i know what the -w 60 -v 60 stands for?
I assume the -v stands for volume not sure about the -w read it in a post when I was having trouble with sound and it worked so I thought I would pass it on.
-
Junior Member
registered user
okies thanks so i could set it to 100 instead of 60? is that 60 standing for dB or volume %
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xolstis
okies thanks so i could set it to 100 instead of 60? is that 60 standing for dB or volume %
I believe it would be percent but I remember reading somewhere not to set it above 75 you can give it a try at 100 if you want. I know with it set at 60 I never have to turn the volume [edit] on the speakers [/edit] past close to a half of the way to get almost full volume from them YMMV.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Set it to 85 and got it to work, 75 is still too soft for me.
Similar Threads
-
By mrgraey in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-16-2006, 03:00 PM
-
By edpatterson in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:38 PM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
-
By jackson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
-
By filipedinis in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile
$35.00