Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Login Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14

    Login Questions

    Am running knoppix 3.2. Just installed with a dual boot with winXP.

    I can't seem to be able to logout of KDE and login as a diff user. When i hit logout, the green dragon appears and if i choose logout, the screen goes black and just stays that way.

    Also I can't seem to figure out how to add another user to my knoppix.

    My HDD is currently split into four parts. a NTFS partit for XP, a FAT32 that I am hoping to use for both OSes, a ext3 and a linux swap. I can;t seem to be able to see my NTFS and FAT32 partitions on linux. I understand that I can only read from NTFS but like I said I wanted a FAT32 for my mp3s and pictures.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    xolstis

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    The logout problem is strange. I haven't seen that before. You can try this: Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. This will crash X. It's one way to get out of KDE albeit not the smoothest way.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14
    yupps ctrl-alt-backspace does work, but not the regular logout using the GUI. Crashing X does not have any adverse affect on the system does it?

  4. #4
    Had the same problem, but not when running Knoppix on cd, only with HD-install. Any ideas what's the reason/solution? I am a newbie with a XP-dualboot Fujitsu-Siemens laptop, using GRUB as a bootloader. The problem remains with both most recent version of Knoppix cd as well as with the one from May...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    I had the same problem running from CD. I logout from X and the session shuts down and I'm back at the colored text boot screen (what's a green dragon?). Next thing you know the boot screen says it's sending all processes the TERM signal, then (IIRC) the KILL signal. Shortly thereafter the CD ejects and I'm told to remove it and hit [ENTER]. When I do, the system powers down. Man, I just wanted to log out from knoppix and back in as root!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    Another option to the ctrl + alt + bksp is ctrl + alt + f2, f3, f4, and f5 takes you back to the xwin term, f1 takes you to the 1st term screen which has the boot up info

    just another option to try

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12
    I can't get by login.
    I just installed using the knoppix CD. When I login and give password I get my hostname followed by~$.
    Anything I type in gets
    -bash: whatever thecommand:command not found.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12
    I can't get by login.
    I just installed using the knoppix CD. When I login and give password I get my hostname followed by~$.
    Anything I type in gets
    -bash: whatever thecommand:command not found.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Sounds like somehow you didn't set a user or root password (or whichever script you were using failed).

    For (absolute) clarity it should look something like this:

    login: [you type "root" or "knoppix" + hit enter]
    password: [you type the password you set + hit enter]

    But I'm guessing you did all that. You might want to try

    linux -s

    which -- on some systems, dunno about Knoppix -- gets you in in single user mode.

    BTW, the "command not found" error can have several causes: either you're trying to run something only root can do, or the command doesn't exist, or the user doesn't exist.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 01:38 AM
  2. KDE Login won't login
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 11:09 PM
  3. Can't login at XServer Login Window
    By torbu in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
  4. Can't login to Debian login screen
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Login
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 05:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350 picture

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350

$325.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00