Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Probe ALL LUNs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    Probe ALL LUNs

    I am trying to get my SanDisk 2in1 card reader to work. From what I understand the Smartmedia slot ( the one I need) is on LUN 1. Is there a way to enable that additional LUN? I have asked on the Knoppiz mailing list if "Probe Additional LUNs" was selected in the latest versions kernel but got no reply. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    For sure you can do it by selecting "probe multiple LUN's on each device" when configureing a custom kernel. I have also heard of people using various boot params, but I've not had any success that way.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You could try something like this for example:

    echo "scsi-add-single-device 1 0 0 1" >
    /proc/scsi/scsi

    That might get your card reader into the /proc filesystem.

    BTW-
    Have a look at /usr/src/linux/.config and you'll see this:

    Code:
    CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
    VeeDubb is right- you'd need to recompile the kernel. I don't know why it's not set.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    You could try something like this for example:

    echo "scsi-add-single-device 1 0 0 1" >
    /proc/scsi/scsi

    That might get your card reader into the /proc filesystem.

    BTW-
    Have a look at /usr/src/linux/.config and you'll see this:

    Code:
    CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
    VeeDubb is right- you'd need to recompile the kernel. I don't know why it's not set.
    According to Klaus, on the mailing list, it's not set because then there would be 7 erroneous SCSI drives on the desktop.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Did anyone get this to work? I have a 6in1 USB card reader but only the slot with LUN 0 is recognized.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Umpqua Valley, Southwestern Oregon, USA
    Posts
    9
    I have not tried it with Knoppix, but it has worked with both RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9.1

    in /etc/modules.conf add the line

    options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=12

    The only way I know of doing this with Knoppix is with a remaster.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Umpqua Valley, Southwestern Oregon, USA
    Posts
    9

    Forgot

    I forgot that /etc/modules.conf is not to be edited. It is built by the stuff in /etc/modutils

    I would add it to the end of /etc/modutils/aliases

    # support for SansDisk 5-in-1 reader
    options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=12

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Forgot

    Quote Originally Posted by Breetai
    I forgot that /etc/modules.conf is not to be edited. It is built by the stuff in /etc/modutils

    I would add it to the end of /etc/modutils/aliases

    # support for SansDisk 5-in-1 reader
    options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=12
    And then run update-modules as root for the changes to take effect on the next reload of the module.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Thanks for the quick reply. Still I can only use one out of four slots of my USB card reader. How can I check whether all LUNs are activated?

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Code:
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SONY     Model: CD-RW  CRX140E   Rev: 1.0n
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: IC       Model: USB Storage-CFC  Rev: 301b
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
      Vendor: IC       Model: USB Storage-SMC  Rev: 301b
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 02
      Vendor: IC       Model: USB Storage-MMC  Rev: 301b
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 03
      Vendor: IC       Model: USB Storage-MSC  Rev: 301b
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 0
    So far, it looks just as before.
    But:
    scsi_info /dev/sdc
    Code:
    SCSI_ID="0,0,2"
    MODEL="IC USB Storage-MMC"
    FW_REV="301b"
    That last thing wasn't there before your hint. But still I cannot mount the MMC card:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/test
    mount: /dev/sdc1 is not a valid block device

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Umpqua Valley, Southwestern Oregon, USA
    Posts
    9
    I would try

    Code:
    mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/test
    The reason being, is I suspect the following is true:

    /dev/sdc1 CFC
    /dev/sdc2 SMC
    /dev/sdc3 MMC
    /dev/sdc4 MSC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LiveCD probe attampt to burn hardware?
    By DaTasuRgE in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:32 AM
  2. SCSI Probe
    By RobTuck in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 04:55 PM
  3. Dell Mouse probe problem 01.01.02
    By Stonent in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 3 Toshiba Satellite Vintage Laptops - T2130CS, Pro 405CS, 110CS picture

Lot of 3 Toshiba Satellite Vintage Laptops - T2130CS, Pro 405CS, 110CS

$55.00



VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD picture

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD

$34.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc picture

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc

$86.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



AfterTheMac MacWireless USB 802.11g/b WiFi Adapter Vintage Apple Mac G3 G4 G5 picture

AfterTheMac MacWireless USB 802.11g/b WiFi Adapter Vintage Apple Mac G3 G4 G5

$49.99



Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras picture

Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras

$149.99



MITS 8800 D/C BD REV 1 Blank Circuit Board PCB - Vintage Computer picture

MITS 8800 D/C BD REV 1 Blank Circuit Board PCB - Vintage Computer

$49.99



Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS picture

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS

$54.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99