Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: User privaleges to shutdown, control net devices

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73

    User privaleges to shutdown, control net devices

    I'm loving Knoppix a lot, but being new to Debian there are two things I can't figure out how to do. I asked on a #debian but the answer seemed rather complex and I couldn't find anything on google.

    I want to allow a regular user account (mine in this case) to be able to shutdown and do ifup and ifdown commands to bring up interfaces. How would I go about doing this the Debian way? I know I can use sudo or just su to root, but it's bothersome to type my password all the time for that (I'm using a notebook). I tried to change the owner / group of /etc/network/interfaces, but then pump complained. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    As root:

    Code:
    chmod 777 /etc/network/ifstate
    Also- you might want to edit your /etc/sudoers file so that it looks like so:

    Code:
    <your username>  ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
    That way when you use the sudo command you won't have to enter a password everytime. After that, you can do sudo ifdown -a and it will just do it- no password required.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73

    Thanks

    Changing the octal mode of /etc/network/ifstate didn't help at all - pump still complained that it must be run as root. Changing the /etc/sudoers worked great though! Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Change run control under 3.4??!!??
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 08:09 PM
  2. Mouse control
    By jbrush in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 12:29 AM
  3. How to control IRQ selection on PnP cards?
    By rafial in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 03:28 AM
  4. Control ALT F1 trouble
    By iamanewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:13 AM
  5. Problems with x - Boot-shutdown... Boot-shutdown...Boot-shut
    By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00