Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Please Help Me Its SLOW!

  1. #1

    Please Help Me Its SLOW!

    Hello,
    I am new at Linux and I love the KDE Knoppix interface. I only have 32 megs of ram and it runs slow. I was wondering what I can do to maybe speed it up some till I get some ram, witch will be a while cause im broke.

    Thank You

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You got KDE to run on 32M RAM? That's an accomplishment in itself. Try booting with a different desktop like icewm or better yet fluxbox.

  3. #3
    And may i please ask how to do that?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    It's all right here in the docs.

    Just do something like this:

    boot: knoppix lang=us desktop=icewm

    plus any other cheat codes you normally use. You can try fluxbox but it's kind of spartan- takes some getting used to.

  5. #5
    yes it is still slow, it takes about 10 minutes to open the Mozilla Browser.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    What do you expect?

    As rickenbacherus said: What do you expect? Just getting the gui up and running on those specs is really good. Try running Fluxbox instead of KDE and use Konqueror instead of Mozilla. If Konqueror also crawls (which it probably does), try running links. (It's a text-browser.)

  7. #7
    I would like to thank all that helped. I am running the Fluxbox desktop and it helped alot. But wwhen I boot it i get a bunch of errors. Could this be from a bad download? I reburned it and still have the same errors.


    thanks

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineGamer
    I would like to thank all that helped. I am running the Fluxbox desktop and it helped alot. But wwhen I boot it i get a bunch of errors. Could this be from a bad download? I reburned it and still have the same errors.


    thanks
    If you posted the errors we might be able to tell you.

Similar Threads

  1. booted and its slow...
    By TanZed in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 08:17 PM
  2. Network going slow one way
    By gords in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 02:41 AM
  3. My 4 port 10/100 NIC is slow!
    By brinstar117 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 01:40 AM
  4. X startup very slow
    By m_yates in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:21 AM
  5. why is the internet so slow?
    By RobC in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 04:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00