-
hddinstall with patition magic?
I dont know other partition programs. Before hdd installing can I use Partition Magic to create Linux Swap, etc ???
-
Partition Magic 8.0 can create Linux partitions (don't know about earlier versions). However if your HD is not NFTS but FAT32 you don't need Partition Magic. You can resize your HD with parted (type 'man parted' in a console to see how to do this). Then run the install script. This will start cfdisk which will let you make the partitions. But again, don't use parted on a NFTS-formatted drive. It could (will?) wipe out all your data.
- - Edwin
-
hmm
I have 3 GB hd space left. I want Knoppix with minimum installation that can be. How much disc space it needs? I don't want full installation, only most necessary programs
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
THiM
hmm
I have 3 GB hd space left. I want Knoppix with minimum installation that can be. How much disc space it needs? I don't want full installation, only most necessary programs
Knoppix requires a minimum of 2.2gb for / and 128mb for /swap also the latest versions include QTParted (similar to partition Magic) which you can use to re-partition your drive if you wish.
-
For a standard install Knoppix needs a minimun of 2.5 GB for the root partition. For the swap the rule of thumb seems to be twice the size of your RAM, where more then 500 MB is not sensible (the last part I got from someone at a local usergroup, so others may have a different opinion). There are several remastered versions available, one of which might suit you. Have a look here. You can also do a 'poor man install', where you copy the iso-image from the CD to your HD and boot from there. Look at the howto; not something for the faint of heart it appears.
- - Edwin
-
Junior Member
registered user
3GB is sufficient to install a Debian system with knoppix. You cannot really control what you install. Once installed you can remove and add programs.
Is your partition a FAT partition? If so using partionmagic create a logical ext2 partion of 3GB. Then resize this by reducing it by 250MB or so. When asked wheter to reduce it from the FAT partions ssay no. Then you will be left with a free partition. Right click this and select a linux swap. Then write the cahnges to disc.
Now you can install Knoppix.
-
be careful...
I have used Partition Magic 6 and 8 to create ext2 and swap partitions...had no problems....I let Mandrake create partitions once and it tried to write past the available cylinders...had to completely re-install both OS's...now I always leave 1% unallocated space at the end of my drive...
haven't had a problem since... Hope this info helps...
Similar Threads
-
By FuzzieBio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 05:05 PM
-
By nube in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 04:28 AM
-
By Paul_E in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 09:31 PM
-
By orvil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 03:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00