This is a wild guess from the furthest reaches of my tiny little mind. When you recompress try using the -9 flag.
why is my iso bigger if i only decompress and recompress it and how can i avoid that?
the KNOPPIX file was about 7-8mb bigger then before
This is a wild guess from the furthest reaches of my tiny little mind. When you recompress try using the -9 flag.
neither mkisofs nor create_compressed_fs takes a -9 parameter, what are you trying to tell me?
![]()
i discovered it doesn't seem to be the compression but the decompression
i mount the KNOPPIX file with
insmod cloop file=KNOPPIX
mount /dev/cloop somedir
somedir then has about 1.8gb
if i copy it to a normal dir that suddenly has 2.0gb
i used cp -a -v
any clues how to fix this?![]()
I think 1.8 GB on an iso9660 filesystem will take up 2GB on an ext2 filesystem, if I get your problem correctly, then it's just the extra overhead of ext2 compared to iso9660
hm might be![]()
<edit>
eh...just catched the thougt:
i m not using ext2 but ext3
any chance that this may be part of the reason?
</edit>
but then why on earth is my image growing![]()
i now converted a partition to ext2 _and_ created the KNOPPIX file from the cloop mounted original file (sound weird? it is!)
and guess what? still growing...
that brings me back to a compression problem![]()
damn it
I don't pretend to know why, but I had the same problem and found that if you use an xfs partition instead of ext2 or ext3, then the problem goes away.
I also found that if I removed some large packages using apt-get and then added them later, the overhead incurred by using ext2 or ext3 previously was reduced.
Hope this helps.![]()

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00