Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Newbie - print drivers

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I noticed a couple of threads KDE seems to be having problems with CUPS it looks like printing is broken. I think I am out of ideas at this time I recently got a new to me printer and set it up and it is happening on the HD install also, if I get it worked out I will definetly post the solution.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Hi Stephen,

    You wouldn't be refering to the following thread, would you???

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592

    ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

    Frustrated,

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Hi Stephen,

    You wouldn't be refering to the following thread, would you???

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592

    ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

    Frustrated,
    Yes I would there seems to be some strange CUPS/KDE behavior going on. I did an install of Bonzai linux the other night but have yet to setup CUPS hopefully I get to it today and see if this happens with it or if this is just specific to knoppix I'll post back and let you know.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I got a chance to set up CUPS on the Bonzai linux and it works even was going to print in color if the cartridge wasn't nearly dead it would have given me full color so I would say there is a problem with knoppix KDE/CUPS going on somewhere in the setup. The printing works from Kate and Kword no problem except for the ugly default font since changed have not had the chance to play with it anymore than that yet so CUPS will work with KDE applications as long as it is setup properly.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Hi J:

    I thought you were having at least some success setting up CUPS after seeing all the trash I went through in my thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592

    I've been rereading this thread and am surprised by your needing a root passwd. I never needed a root passwd ever! I never set one up in KNOPPIX! I either used http://localhost:631 from KONQUEROR or <K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTER(S)> to set up CUPS.

  6. #16
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    I got a chance to set up CUPS on the Bonzai linux and it works even was going to print in color if the cartridge wasn't nearly dead it would have given me full color so I would say there is a problem with knoppix KDE/CUPS going on somewhere in the setup.
    I wonder: can you print, on _that_ machine, on _that_ printer from Knoppix?

    - - Edwin

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I never needed a root passwd ever! I never set one up in KNOPPIX! I either used http://localhost:631 from KONQUEROR or <K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTER(S)> to set up CUPS.
    I tried that early on with no success. I see no reason why I would need a root password either. Please bear in mind that I am really, really new to Knoppix and Linux. So, it is entirely possible that I am missing something stupid. Basically, these are the same printers I use with WinXP, hooked onto an HP Pavilion Athlon-equipped machine via USB cables. Knoppix is the 06-06-03 release.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    I wonder: can you print, on _that_ machine, on _that_ printer from Knoppix?

    - - Edwin
    Have not tried that yet but I am going to give it a try from the CD and I may throw a spare HD in and do an install to check that as well I will post back when I get the chance to give it a try.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I never needed a root passwd ever! I never set one up in KNOPPIX! I either used http://localhost:631 from KONQUEROR or <K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTER(S)> to set up CUPS.
    I tried that early on with no success. I see no reason why I would need a root password either. Please bear in mind that I am really, really new to Knoppix and Linux. So, it is entirely possible that I am missing something stupid. Basically, these are the same printers I use with WinXP, hooked onto an HP Pavilion Athlon-equipped machine via USB cables. Knoppix is the 06-06-03 release.
    Gotta' eat my words. It worked this time, and I got my test page on the Epson. Actually, before I was going from the shell -> peripherals -> printers -> printer setup, when I was having problems. I was still having problems last night, so I printed out both of the printer problem threads (this one and Jorge's), and noticed that this method was slightly different. Apparently, going through the K menu made all the difference. Don't know why, but it was easy.

    Thanks to all for your help.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Alleluia, Alleluia, etc (to the tune of harps and Beethoven).

    Thank God, I knew we had to be missing something simple!

    Happy printing,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie need help installing ATI.2 drivers and HDD install!
    By ThE_R_o_B in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 04:22 AM
  2. Help with installing nVidia Drivers /newbie/
    By nlight40 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
  3. cant print because no CUPS drivers in 3.4???
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 08:19 PM
  4. Captive NTFS Drivers Dont Mount (Newbie?)
    By Green in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 11:06 PM
  5. quick printing without installing print drivers
    By true1ever in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack picture

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack

$500.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU

$525.00