-
Senior Member
registered user
"Johnny Linuxseed"
Im not sure if those of you outside the U.S. are familiar with this true story:
"In the early part of the 19th century, Johnny Appleseed created apple orchards in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Ohio over a 49-year period. After 200 years, some of those trees still bear apples."
I'm after a "fruit" of a different kind. I have been making Knoppix discs from current distributions for a while. Some of these I sell for a nominal charge (I'm out of work -- it helps!) -- but some of them I give away to those who I think may find them a useful introduction to Linux.
I think this is a useful "seeding" project; many of us have CD burners and can get discs fairly cheaply. Even if it's only used as a Windows rescue disc, it's still worthwhile -- and some of the the recipients may go on to learn more and pass copies on themselves. In my opinion, it doesn't take a large number of discs to make an impact. I would like to see your thoughts on this subject.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Interesting idea. It reminds me of the old days of linux where you could get on CD mailing lists where people would send you their old linux cds. Considering many of us burn the latest knoppix when it comes out, we end up having spare old ones. Those would be perfect for give-aways.
Similar Threads
-
By tmp000 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 25
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
-
By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99