-
Strange Networking Problem: Linksys WPC11 with Knoppix 3.2
Hello!
I have a strange problem for you problem solvers/thinkres.
I have a IBM Thinkpad T23 and using Linksys WPC11 version 3
PC card and a Linksys Wireless broadband router.
I have configured the wlan-ng.opts file with correct SSID
and have no WEP encrytion. I know its bad, I want to get the
conneectivity up first.
Once I unplug and plug the card, the DHCP succeeds and
I get a ip address from the router, ifconfig eth0 shows
192.168.1.101 and when I check the linksys router page from another PC
connected with wire, I can see Knoppix as a DHCP client
and gven the IP address. Also the LINK is not blinking
so cinnection is established.
Now the strange part. I cannot ping 192.168.1.1 nor the other
PC on the network (192.168.1.100).
If I put ethereal on the knoppix and PC, I can a few packets.
1. If I ping the pc 192.168.1.100 from knoppix (192.168.1.101)
I can see the arp request from knoppix to 192.168.1.100 come to the pc
and pc replies to ARP. The packet never makes to knoppix ethereal.
2. If I ping to 192.168.1.1 that also never gets reolved.
3. When I Ping the PC to knoppix, arp seems to have resolved because
I can see the ECHO_REQUEST ping packets go out of PC.
All in all, its quite puzzling why the arp does not get resolved
and packets cannot go out of knoppix. netstat -rn
shows a route to 192.168 network as well a default route to 0.0.0.0
with gateway as 192.168.1.1
Any idea where the problem might lie. I have the 03-30-03 version of
Knoppix 3.2
Thanks and Happy Networking!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Make sure your WAP has a valid ip (if it is like mine) also does this card work with any other OS? So we can be sure if it is a knoppix problem or a general config problem. For example, on my server (non-knoppix) My dhcpd (v3) config file looks like this:
Code:
allow booting;
allow bootp;
default-lease-time 2592000;
max-lease-time 5184000;
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
next-server 192.168.0.1;
if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "Etherboot" { filename "
etherboot.nbi"; }
else { filename "pxelinux.0"; }
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
range 192.168.0.52 192.168.0.254;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
option routers 192.168.0.1;
}
host summer {
hardware ethernet 08:00:69:0a:53:f2;
fixed-address 192.168.0.52;
option host-name "summer";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
option routers 192.168.0.1;
}
-
Card works with Win2k
Yes the WAP has an IP address 192.168.1.1
I can connect to Internet from other PCs(running Linux, OpenBSD)
through this WAP.
TheWireless card works with Win2K which is installed on the laptop with
Linksys given drivers.
Also the knoppix connects to Internet through the ethernet port.
So it is not a iptables/firewall thing , it looks like.
Any clue ? I really appreciate any pointers.
I really like to get wireless working with Knoppix
Similar Threads
-
By SillyFly in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
-
By bljohnson in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By mloiterman in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 10:33 PM
-
By PAlvarez in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-02-2004, 11:47 PM
-
By cgoodier in forum Networking
Replies: 11
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00