Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Router

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55

    Router

    iproute, ipchains, iptables

    Has anyone of you tried to use Knoppix as a router ?

    w.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am running knoppix as a router and a wireless access point (with card running in ad-hoc mode) as well as running NAT for internet access from the inside network. Works fine from a CD.

    Your references to iptables indicate that you also might want to run this as a firewall (as well as a router). I am currently working on this in an attempt to run a firewall from CD, but have not spent a lot of time with it recently and still don't have it running to my satisfaction.

    However, I have loaded knoppix on a dedicated firewall pc, using bastille to configure NAT , firewall rules, and port scan logging. Works great for a small office setup.

    Ideally I would like to get everything running from a cd based instance of knoppix. Any help on a script to run a suitable iptables ruleset for a dual honed pc would be a GREAT followup to this posting

    Regards,

    ~paul

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    I am running knoppix as a router and a wireless access point (with card running in ad-hoc mode)
    I've thought about trying to do this before, but didn't get very far.

    I googled around and found a bsd howto for doing this here.

    You know where there is a comparable linux howto/info?

    Thanks,

    Adam

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Here is the url I used to get started...

    http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html

    get familiar with the iwlist and netcardconfig commands on knoppix, and you'll be all right...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanks I'll check it out. BTW, after I put up my last post I did some more googling and found something called Sisela.

    The author describes Sisela as "... a Linux-based single boot floppy that allows you to turn any spare PC system with a floppy drive and one or more ISA, PCI, PCMCIA or CardBus network devices into a router, gateway, firewall, wireless access point, DHCP server or any combination of these functions."

    I know of other such floppy tools but none of them with such wireless capeabilities. It's still in the early stages though.

Similar Threads

  1. Help configouring Lan Router
    By francy222 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
  2. What's so special about a router?
    By sn0wflake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
  3. Anyone use a router?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
  4. USB Router/Modem
    By tommyf in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
  5. 3com 812 router
    By carmine65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$69.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vintage ASUS  SPAX-M w/ Socket 7 AMD-K6-2 64MB SDRAM picture

Vintage ASUS SPAX-M w/ Socket 7 AMD-K6-2 64MB SDRAM

$79.96