Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is it possible to make my laptop hibernate?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61

    Is it possible to make my laptop hibernate?

    Hello,

    I would like to know if there is a way to make the laptop hibernate?

    Thxs
    Ludo

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Re: Is it possible to make my laptop hibernate?

    To hibernate (suspend) automaticly:

    K-menu -> Power Control -> Display Power Control. Enable the checkbox.

    On my Toshiba this somehow conflicts with Windows. Since I have this enabled Windows won't suspend my box when I close the lid. The control-panel says it should, but it won't. Disabling the checkbox at the Linux-end does not solve this. I can live with it. Don't see much Windows these days.

    To do it manually: as root, in a console, type 'apm --suspend'.

    To wake up I have to press ESC, but this could be a different key on your machine.

    - - Edwin

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Is it possible to make my laptop hibernate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    To do it manually: as root, in a console, type 'apm --suspend'.

    To wake up I have to press ESC, but this could be a different key on your machine.

    - - Edwin
    Right. I can put my laptop into suspend this way, but with the unfortunate side effect of not being able to get it out!

    No luck with acpi on this laptop.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Ok,
    I'll try that.
    Just have to reinstall from scratch Knoppix, and I will try.
    Do I also need to patch the Kernel or the command as root is enought?

    thxs
    Ludo

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Do I also need to patch the Kernel or the command as root is enought?
    No patching requiered, just the command.

    - - Edwin

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Oh, great!

    I will try that tonight then
    I hope it will works on this laptop!

    Ludo

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    Please some one help

    I used knoppix and used my laptops hot key to put it suspend mode. However the next moring a tried to resume and my laptop will no longer boot up.

    the ac power light, battery light and charging light come on there a breif sound for half a seconfd then nothing.

    i have tried booting with the cd in and out

    i have useed both ac power and battery, fully discharging the battery and recharging does not help.

    i have tried removing the memory and reseating it.

    my laptop is a iriduim starbook 800 (some uk manufacture) cheap really.
    .
    how can i sort this what could have possibley done. any help would be appreciated

    [email protected]

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Gareth, that sounds suspiciously like standby instead of suspend to ram. Many laptops (and desktops) have problems resuming from standy instead of suspend to ram. In standy mode, power doesn't go completely out, it kills the power to the monitor/lcd screen only and keeps power running on the other peripherals. Suspend to ram kills power to everything except for the ram (it looks very much like hibernation), except if your laptop/desktop has separate led's for the suspend and hibernation functions that will be your only visual cue if it did one or the other. Personally I have seen standby cause the monitor to fail on a couple of laptops when I closed the lid and then tried to resume the next morning. It resumed alright, but nothing showed on the screen and I had to use an external monitor from then on.
    Coume,
    You don't always have to use the commands from root, if you set the GID for your regular user account to be able to suspend/resume from your account. Also, if you're using kde, right click the battery icon and click suspend, that does the same thing as apm -s in a console.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11
    This all sounds a bit alarming.

    Has anyone been successful using hibernation in Knoppix on a Toshiba A10 (without damaging the laptop)?

    I'm running KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN from a poorman's hd install (planning a full hdinstall soon).

Similar Threads

  1. Make an iso without internet...
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 10:48 PM
  2. Hibernate
    By wolf359 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 12:57 AM
  3. make menuconfig / make dep
    By Lord1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
  4. Should I make a 3.3 CD?
    By Kethinov in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
  5. Is it possible to make a CD that isn't compressed?
    By reub2000 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 04:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58