Use Nero....close any wizards.......file then click Burn Image.....browse to your iso......should work.....depending on what errors you are recieving.Originally Posted by Jeff Harrison
Asus A7V333 [rev 1] mobo + Athlon 2400+, IDE hard disks and CD/DVD/CDRW combo, usb mouse and nvidia Ti200 graphics card.
I burnt the CD [md5sum matched], plomped it in [I'm running 6-06 off my hardisk actually], rebooted and it worked fine. It did take a bit longer for the autoconfigure but not that much so as to be a problem. I didn't try out the new install script [since I have a perfectly fine 6-06 installed] so I can't testify as to how that works...
I just wanted to offer some positive feedback to the board
Tom
Use Nero....close any wizards.......file then click Burn Image.....browse to your iso......should work.....depending on what errors you are recieving.Originally Posted by Jeff Harrison
Does anyone know if lvm partions is working (recognised during bootup) in this version? It did work properly in 3.1 but not in later 3.2 versions.
I cannot for the life of me get Kismet to work at all. Also trying to use iwpriv gives me a warning that wireless extdensions were compiled with ext16 and this tool is using ext15 when compiled and somethings might be broken.. etc
I have an Orinoco Lucent card on PCMCIA IBM Thinkpad laptop. Recognizes the card and uses it (I am typing this from knoppix 726 through wireless card) but cannot run kismet/airsnort etc.
Anyone have any info for me - was hoping to use this great package for wireless network admin.
Anything you want me to provide the forum for further troubleshooting?
Thanks!
(---------------------)
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ kismet
Server options: none
Client options: none
Entering monitor mode...
Setting interface from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf capinterface
Setting card type from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf cardtype
Enabling monitor mode for a cisco card on eth1
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 123: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 124: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 125: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
Starting server...
NOTICE: Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
Using pcap to capture packets from eth1
FATAL: socket: Operation not permitted
Starting UI...
NOTICE: Group file did not exist, it will be created.
FATAL: Could not connect to localhost:2501.
Killing server...
/usr/bin/kismet: line 73: kill: (2551) - No such process
Terminating...
Leaving monitor mode...
Setting interface from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf capinterface
Setting card type from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf cardtype
Disabling monitor mode for a cisco card on eth1
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.
/usr/bin/kismet_unmonitor: line 106: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/kismet_unmonitor: line 107: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
Warning: Interface eth1 still in promisc mode... maybe other application is running?
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
You will likely need to restart your PCMCIA services to reconfigure your card
for the correct channel and SSID.
Done.
(-------------------)
END
Your kismet is set to aironet (cisco) by default. Edit kismet.conf, set to orinoco, and retry.Originally Posted by aitech
kismet.conf is in /etc/kismet but this points to /KNOPPIX/etc/kismet (on the CD) thus no edit/save.
How can I unlink it and have a copy reside on the ramdrive and/or copy all of this into ram, etc.
Thanks.
from man kismet:Originally Posted by aitech
-f Use an alternate config file
but of course you can also unlink the symlink from /etc/kismet and create a new one instead.
Thank you - sorry I didn't research a bit about the using alt config file first - it's just that I had spent countless days/distro's trying to find a live CD that would just work with everything I wanted across many different hardware platforms w/o many porblems I was a little tired.
BUT I did go research, and this is what I did..
From console -> sudo su for root shell
first a kedit/save of /KNOPPIX/etc/kismet/kismet.conf to /home
then a rm /etc/kismet to unlink/delete symbol
then a cp /home/kismet.conf /etc/kismet to copy the new config
then I have to do a kismet_monitor twice!!!
Then after second time (as evidenced by using wavemon) it puts the card into monitor mode, then you can do kismet ,and it works!!! OMG!
First thou, the changes to the kismet.conf
it was set to adapter eth1 / wireless adapter was eth0
capture type to PCAP
Card type to ORINOCO
And I believe that was it.
Also, to make airsnort work, kismet_monitor twice to put card into monitor mode, then load airsnort with ORINOCO_CS module.
I don't know why the kismet_monitor twice, but the first attempt just seems to put the card out of commition, the second time, it starts receiving packets ?? ??
Anyway, so that's done.
Now, and attempt at iwconfig eth0 anything
iwconfig essid "apname"
iwconfig ap FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
whatever - I get a not permitted message. I need to change the AP to a MAC address instead of a essid name because there is no essid or broadcast enabled on this AP, just a BSSID (MAC addr).
The only way I can configure the card is through Knoppix's wcardconfig util, which just seems to run iwconfig/iwpriv/iwspy anyway. ?? And then it only works 60% of the time, sometimes it won't set properlly.
And iwpriv commands come back with not accepeted also.![]()
Any ideas?
Also - now what is the best way to get all of this (updated configs, etc) onto a memory card (flash/CF or usb thumbdrive) and have this info/configs auto used when using the live CD? Including the automount to sda1?
Thanks!
IBM THinkpad T21 Laptop with Enterasys/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA.
First, I'm glad I could help with kismet.
Regarding running kismet_monitor twice, check that your orinoco has a supported firmware (8.10 works well for me with orinoco driver 0.13b - patched for monitor mode).
Re using iw* commands to configure card after using in monitor mode, you need to kismet_unmonitor first, and with some firmwares even this doesn't help and you have to eject and re-insert the card before configuring it.
See kismet mailing list archive for more details.
Re preserving changes, look for persistent home in knoppix forums.
As to the iw* commands;
I have tried unmonitor / eject re-insert and even a clean boot without touching anything else, then trying a iw* and still get op not permitted!?
Thank you.

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95
Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00