The problem that causes this is that no loopback interface was started. So if you get this eror just hit ctrl+alt+f1 login as root and
.Code:ifconfig lo inet 127.0.0.1
ok so I had knoppix 3.1 installed and the nvidia drivers loaded on a desktop everthing worked as expected.
I then load 3.2 on a laptop with the drivers and everything is copacetic. Then I load 3.2 on the first machine and I can login into kde but after the first restart
of X kde hangs on the ksplash screen witht the second icon "system settings " blinking it will hang for a minute or so and then disappears. After 4 or 5 reinstalls
I have found that this happens with the nvidia drivers loaded and without them. The log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log stops at the font renderer warnings and there is
no error I can see in dmesg. Oh and btw windowMaker and tvwm work with or without nvidia drivers.
thank you for your time
Mileto->Frank
The problem that causes this is that no loopback interface was started. So if you get this eror just hit ctrl+alt+f1 login as root and
.Code:ifconfig lo inet 127.0.0.1

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95
Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00
BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00
TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board
$345.00
S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00