-
No Internet, No Networking HELP Please
Hi,
I have installed Knoppix to the hard disk as I could not connect to the Internet at all using the CD. I am a complete newbie as far as hardware is concerned. Although the DHCP address and the nameservers are correctly detected, on giving a proxy for the internet in Mozilla/Konquerer it gives an error that the proxy refused connection. I can ping the Proxy server but no other server in the network.
When using the proxy ip address with Mozilla on windows, it worked fine. I have an authenticated proxy on my network.
The device manager in WinXP shows my network card as a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2.
Is there anything I am doing wrong. The eth0 (sorry about the explanation ...as I said I know zilch about hardware) seems to be detected. Also went to /etc/resolv.conf and all the data seems to be correct and matching ipconfig /all output in Win XP.
The funny thing is that although running Knoppix off the CD also did not detect any network on this machine although running it on another machine with the same hardware (only WIndows 2000) seemed to detect the internet and network off the CD correctly.
I really need some help on this urgently. Will appreciate any support/help on this issue especially as I know next to nothing about linux/knoppix or hardware.
Thanks
Quo
-
Hello Dear,
Just do one thing. Follow these steps very carefully i think it may cause your prob. to be solved properly.
Step 1 Open the terminal window.
Step 2 Type command "netcardconfig" and press enter.
Step 3 After some time you will be prompted whether you want to use DHCP or some like same in a new window. Click on "NO" to this first question.
Step 4 Now It will ask for the IP. type your ip address and click on "O.K".
Step 5 Same way subnet, Default getway and in Getway give the ip of your proxy server. and in DNS give the ip of DNS server. -->You can obtain this from your ISP admin. and Your broadcast ip address that you have to calculate either manualy or by using a S/W called ip caculator.
after entering all the required ip your machine is in n/w and you can access internet from your proxy server.
Have H'py ride of linux. Long live "Live Linux"...
-
Can now connect to internet via Mozilla
Hi,
Booting using the option knoppix noapic has solved the network issue. I can now connect to the internet using Mozilla. Although can't do it using lynx for some reason..
Regards,
Preet
Similar Threads
-
By jpkennedy79 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By anthonywandeto in forum Networking
Replies: 21
Last Post: 08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
-
By Fenix*NBK* in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-30-2004, 01:09 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 08:22 PM
-
By Nthline in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00