Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Wine broken in 3.2???

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Wine broken in 3.2???

    I keep trying to run a console application (folding@home) in wine while booted from the Knoppix CD. I've run F@H this way many times in SUSE, Redhat, Mandrake, and Gentoo with no trouble whatsoever, having installed wine via rpm or portage. In all cases, I have never once had to configure wine.

    When I run knoppix, this winesetuptk gui app runs and says I have to configure it, so I take the default autoconfig it comes up with, and stick it in /home/knoppoix (ramdisk). I've also tried changing a few options in the config as well with no luck.

    Wine exits with an error code 1 after spitting about a bunch of stuff about font metrics and about no nt.dll found in my .wine directory or anywhere else.

    Should I remaster and try a different version of wine? Is it ok if I reconfigure a new wine on the system? Would it then be able to run in ramdisk when booted from the CD, even on other machines that have different hdd partition schemes or no hdd's at all? Just how much does wine's config depend on knowing what and where hdd partitions 's are? I'd like to just get it going to run this one text-based app from the CD- even if I sacrifice other functionality.

    Finally, why is wine broken in knoppix 3.2 when booted from the CD? I have searched and stumbled on others with the same sort of errors that I'm seeing on the machines I've tried it on....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    As far as the font metrics error goes, copy your windows fonts into .wine/fake_windows/Windows/Fonts/
    I've gotten this error before and doing this seems to take care of it. This is a recent bug as applications that I run under wine used to work fine, but now require me to have the fonts moved into that directory before they will run.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1
    I would not say wine is broken in knoppix 3.2, I just got finished playing red alert 2 with a 3.2 cd and a dell (NT4.0) machine.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    wine

    The machines I've tried to run it on have no version of windows installed, and/or have no hard drive.

    I'll try copying a few of my windows fonts over- but this will reside in ramdisk so I'm trying to go for a small footprint in the .wine folder....

    The console program I'm trying to run only uses two fonts, so I'll try just those at first, and add more until I get one that makes this error go away.

    If that doesn't help, I'll get dirty and try remastering with an older or newer version of wine, and get rid of that gui config app.

Similar Threads

  1. FAQ links broken?
    By kplloyd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
  2. 3.6: unp broken?
    By probono in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM
  3. Broken packages?
    By muczy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:38 PM
  4. atp-get broken
    By Jux in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
  5. broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 06:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00