I had to kill the process called:
artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
and CDs now work!
Stephen thanks a bunch bro.
Now I have to find out where that process is getting started![]()
I get the drain error also and xmms also appears to freeze but plays mp3 or ogg's fine after I kill off the arts sound server never tried playing a CD though. Try this ps xa | grep arts then use kill number_of_artsd_process ie.Originally Posted by ferreter
Code:[02:32 PM Wed Aug 13: stephen @ ~] >$ ps xa | grep arts 616 ? S 0:01 artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -a oss -d -b 16 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f [02:32 PM Wed Aug 13: stephen @ ~] >$ kill 616
I had to kill the process called:
artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
and CDs now work!
Stephen thanks a bunch bro.
Now I have to find out where that process is getting started![]()
Go into the Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System in the aRts tab uncheck the start arts sound sever on KDE startup.Originally Posted by ferreter
What exactly is the arts sound server used for anyways? If we have alsa, why would we need another sound server?
I apologize for all the questions but I'm slowly working my way to being completely MS free at home and always want to know what's going on in my systems![]()
--To get a better XFree86 config file, you can DL the SuSE 8.2 LiveCD and use ' sax2 ' to generate it, then cp the file over to your Knoppix install and tweak it if necessary. This enables the best fullscreen modes in VMware.
ftp://ftp.uniroma2.it/Linux/suse/pub...live-eval-8.2/
)This is just one of the mirrors.(
Originally Posted by ferreter
Thanks! I'll definately look into doing that. Why would I get a better xf86config file this way though?
Right now I use the Gforce2 40/40 mx card in my machine and get a nice resolution in Xfree with only a slightly noticable refresh glich in the lower left corner of the screen.

Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot
$199.95
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT
$7250.00
Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)
$149.99
(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is
$170.00
Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware
$649.00
Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED
$219.99
Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$599.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)
$69.99