View Poll Results: Did this procedure work for you?
- Voters
- 42. You may not vote on this poll
-
Senior Member
registered user
>>
You can even prevent unauthorized use of a GAG floppy, you can give each os in the GAG menu a separate password.
<<
Paul, I just used lilo in the mbr without any bad side effects for once. Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a way to password protect the linux boot option in lilo? In other words, my client PCs need to boot the WimXP partition by default from hda2. My students would have to choose linux from hda5 at boot-up from the lilo menu. Can that option be password protected as you suggest in gag?
To all: I ask this as I'm thinking of using knoppix-installer to install my clients as knoppix servers. The problem with that is that a user would get root access this way simply by rebooting the machine. If said user had malicious intent.... Now, I'm not concerned with my students doing this, but the lab is used in WimXP by some other somewhat unsavory students....
BTW, the reason I'd like knoppix servers for the client is that my users can then setup printers easily. My debian servers have a problem printing (whales...). So I'll have them boot to knoppix, do their work, print as needed and then just save (backup) their work via ftp to the single debian server where each student has his/her own account and /home dir.
I'm going to try this to finally have no boot disks, data disks or CDs in class anymore. When I started using KNOPPIX in class about a year ago, I had all 3 disks for each student. Then I switched to the poor man's dual boot and got rid of the CDs. Then I switched to the FastDOSBootFloppies and got rid of the data disks as there was room on this new boot disk for saving data. Now I'm using knoppix-installer to get rid of boot disks too! BTW, I can't get ssh or X -query to work right so I'm thinking ftp is my best bet.
TIA,
Similar Threads
-
By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By ishtvan22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By Termina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s
$81.39

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00