Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Boot/Screen Size

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    Boot/Screen Size

    Purchased 3.2 from almostfreelinux.com and the only way I can get it to boot is by using knoppix xmodule=fbdev. When I do this I get a vertical screen size of about 50%. Adding vga=normal increases the screen size properly but will not allow a complete boot (no suitable x-server for card).
    SIS 650/651, NEC MultiSync 2A.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Boot/Screen Size

    Quote Originally Posted by skimball3
    Purchased 3.2 from almostfreelinux.com and the only way I can get it to boot is by using knoppix xmodule=fbdev. When I do this I get a vertical screen size of about 50%. Adding vga=normal increases the screen size properly but will not allow a complete boot (no suitable x-server for card).
    SIS 650/651, NEC MultiSync 2A.

    Suggestions?
    According to the TLDP Video How-TO every listed SiS card use the XF86_SVGA server and module sis so try the cheat codes xserver=XF86_SVGA and xmodule=sis and see if that works your card does not seem to be listed but it's worth a try anyways.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    We'll try that. Thanx for the help

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    Tried every combination I could without success. Any cheat that results in a full size screen has an unreadable screen(looks like horizontal sync problems). I finish up with "starting X11", "retrying with server XFree86(vesa)", and "retrying with server XFree86(fbdev)". "No suitable x-server found". Is your suggestion of xserver=XF86_svga the same as XFree86?

    Steve

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by skimball3
    Tried every combination I could without success. Any cheat that results in a full size screen has an unreadable screen(looks like horizontal sync problems). I finish up with "starting X11", "retrying with server XFree86(vesa)", and "retrying with server XFree86(fbdev)". "No suitable x-server found". Is your suggestion of xserver=XF86_svga the same as XFree86?

    Steve
    No they are different servers. Have you tried using the CTRL and ATL keys at the same time and then using the keypad + and - keys to try switching through the available screens and resolutions on the fly to see if you can get a suitable screen when you get the unreadable full screens? Also have you tried the xvrefresh=60 cheat code when booting as well?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    A freind of mine had a similar issue running on his card, which used the tseng driver and had to use XF86_SVGA xserver. What he does is open a vncserver and vncviewer and then he's able to read the fonts in the VNC window.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    Have tried cntrl/alt/+,_ without success. I can see no difference in the screen. If the excercise must be accomplished at a specific time in the cycle, I may not have done that. I tried requesting different screen sizes (ie 640x480 to 1280x1024) but no luck.Will cetainly try xvrefresh.
    Unfortunately I am a newbie and do not know about vncserver and viewer. Can you help?

    Steve Kimball

Similar Threads

  1. Screen Size
    By roc in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 01:25 AM
  2. Screen size problem
    By harken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 03:23 AM
  3. How do you change the screen size?
    By chris-harry in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. Screen Size Help
    By Jefff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 06:17 PM
  5. Screen Size
    By CHINAMAN in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99